Easy breadsticks, this is a simple way to make breadsticks, no making individual breadsticks and they are ready in under an hour. Fresh bread is something almost everyone loves and the smell of bread baking in the oven is the best.
The family loves these breadsticks. I usually make them for Friday dinners and serve them with a marinara sauce, since Friday nights are usually pizza night at our house.
On Fridays, I work until 5:00, so I like how quickly these come together. Normally after a long work week, I am looking for an easy way to make dinner, but it’s also the night when some of our kids come home for dinner.
How do you know when you have added enough flour to the breadstick dough?
If you ever look at recipes for bread you will notice that there are usually a minimum of flour and the maximum of flour amount. When I am making bread I usually don’t even look at the amount of flour, because I go by the feel of the dough. (I have been making bread since I was a teen, so I have made a lot of bread in my life.
With that being said I would say that the bread dough should have just a touch of stickiness to it.
What to use when cutting the breadstick?
I find that using a pizza cutter is the easiest and quickest way to cut these breadsticks. Although the pizza cutter does not quite get to the edge of the pans. This is easily fixed by taking a sharp knife and cutting the edges.
Do you have to use Parmesan cheese for the cheese topping?
Absolutely not. You can substitute shredded mozzarella, provolone, cheddar, or whatever shredded cheese you prefer. If using other cheese you can match the herbs to the cheese or add just the cheese to the top of the breadsticks.
Steps for making Easy Breadsticks:
First step: The first step is to turn on the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a sheet pan/jelly roll pan. The one that I use is 15 by 11-inches
Second step: Combine 1 cup of the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the water (make sure that the water is warm) and 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and stir in.
Third step: Start to add the rest of the flour gradually, mixing by hand. As the dough starts to form knead the dough until the rest of the flour is added and the dough sticks slightly to your fingers.
Fifth step: Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Place the dough on the prepared baking pan. Starting at the center of the pan using your fingertips start spreading the dough to the edge of the pan.
Sixth step: Brush the dough with the remaining olive oil. Combine the Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning and sprinkle over top of the dough. Cut the dough into 5 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches (or the size that you desire). Place the pan into the oven and 12-14 minutes.
Seventh step: Once the breadsticks are lightly browned remove from the oven and serve.
If you enjoy bread as much as I do check out these other bread recipes:
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast 1 package
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup water warm
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 11 by 15-inch sheet pan
- In a medium mixing bowl combine 1 cup flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the warm water and 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and stir in.
- Add the remaining flour until the dough is a slightly sticky soft dough.
- Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Then place the dough onto the prepared pan.
- With your fingertips spread the dough to the edge of the pan.
- Brush the top of the dough with the remaining olive oil. Combine the Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning and sprinkle over the top of the dough.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 5 1/2 by 1 1/2-inch breadsticks (or desired size)
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 12-14 minutes or until the breadsticks are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite marinara sauce.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into breadsticks.
- For the edge of the breadsticks use a sharp knife
- Serve with spaghetti or your favorite Italian dish or as an appetizer with marinara sauce.