This Peanut Butter Cream Pie (With Pretzel Crust) is a delicious peanut butter treat for any peanut butter lover. Peanut butter, cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and whipped cream are blended together and poured into a pretzel crust.
We have our share of peanut butter fans in our family. These fans are always delighted to see when this pie is served for dessert. The pie with its creamy peanut butter filling surrounded by a salty pretzel crust. The perfect combination of sweet and salty. The filling for this peanut butter pie is a no-bake and comes together quickly. The pretzel crust is baked, but don’t worry if you are pressed for time it can be baked the day before.
How to make pretzel crumbs?
I find that the easiest way to make the pretzel crumbs is to put them in a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor you can place the pretzels in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to make the crumbs. Roll back and forth until the pretzels are crushed.
Which type of peanut butter should be used for this pie?
I always make this pie with creamy peanut butter, but crunchy peanut butter I feel would work just as well for this recipe.
Does the cream cheese need to be at room temperature for this recipe?
Yes, you will want to make sure that the cream cheese is at room temperature. You will find that the room temperature cream cheese will blend with the other ingredients better.
Tips to bring cream cheese to room temperature fast.
Did you ever start to bake and realize that you forgot to get the cream cheese out of the refrigerator to bring it to room temperature? No, problem! Here are some tips to bring it up to room temperature in no time at all.
- Remove the cream cheese package and cut it into small cubes. Let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the cream cheese from the paper but leave it in the foil, set it in some warm water
- Remove it from the foil wrapper and place the cream cheese on a microwave-safe dish, heat for 10-second spurts, turning after each spurt, until it is warmed to room temperature.
Steps for making the peanut butter cream pie (with pretzel crust):
Step one – is to make the crust. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the pretzel crumbs, sugar, and butter until well mixed. Bake in the preheated oven for 6 to 9 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
Step two – In a large mixing bowl beat the room temperature cream cheese with an electric mixer until fluffy.
Step three – Beat in the cream cheese, peanut butter, and vanilla until well combined.
Step four – In another bowl beat the whipping cream with an electric mixer using clean beaters until soft peaks form. Add the whipped cream to the cream mixture and fold in until combined.
Step five – Pour the mixture into the cooled pretzel.
Step six – Place two tablespoons of peanut butter into a microwave-safe bowl and heat until the peanut butter is runny. The milk chocolate chips and shortening can also be melted in the microwave using a microwave-safe bowl. For both the peanut butter and chocolate chips heat in short spurts stirring after each spurt.
Looking for other great dessert recipes? Check out these recipes:
Peanut Butter Cream Pie (With Pretzel Crust
- 1 1/4 cups pretzels finely crushed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix together the pretzel crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until the mixture is combined.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Place the crust in the preheated oven. Bake for 6 to 10 minutes or until the edge is lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack, cool completely.
- In a large bowl beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in the sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter, and vanilla
- In another bowl, beat the whipping cream with an electric mixer using clean beaters until soft peaks form.
- Add the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture and fold in until combined.
- Pour the filling into the cooled pretzel crust.
- Take the 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 10 seconds at a time stirring in between each heating until the peanut butter is runny.
- Take the milk chocolate chips and shortening and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 20 seconds at a time stirring in between each heating until the chocolate is melted.
- Drizzle the runny peanut butter and melted over the top of the filling.
- Refrigerate until firm for about 2 hours.
- Use a food processor for making the pretzel crumbs. If you don't have a food processor place the pretzels in a ziplock bag and roll over the pretzels with a rolling pin until the pretzels are crushed into crumbs.
- Make sure that the cream cheese is at room temperature for easy mixing.
- Cool the pretzel crust thoroughly before adding the filling.
- Refrigerate until firm before serving for about 2 hours.
This recipe was originally published on August 28, 2011. It has been updated with new content and pictures on September 5, 2019.