Loaded Fudge Mint Brownies, decadent fudgy brownies topped with creamy mint frosting and a drizzle of mint chocolate over the top of the frosting. The perfect dessert for anyone that loves the combination of chocolate and mint.
I have a hubby that is very particular when it comes to chocolate desserts, but I can always win him over when there is mint alongside the chocolate. Needless to say, this is one is of his all-time favorite brownie recipes.
The brownies are simple to make. And, you should have most of the ingredients in your pantry. If you don’t have the mint chocolate chips or the mint extract, they are easily found in the baking aisle of your favorite grocery store. Another thing to love about the loaded fudge mint brownies is that you will only use one bowl (actually it is a saucepan), you have to love that. Although, you will need a bowl for the frosting and the chocolate drizzle.
Should the ingredients be at room temperature?
The eggs should definitely you will want the eggs to be at room temperature. The butter will be melted with the cocoa, so if it is not at room temperature it really doesn’t matter.
What type of cocoa should you use for the loaded fudge mint brownies?
I would suggest that you use natural cocoa powder. I have never made these brownies with Dutch-processed cocoa, so I wouldn’t suggest it.
Tips for making the best brownies:
- Use good quality ingredients. Such as butter instead of margarine.
- Don’t over mix the batter. Over mixing will make your brownies tough.
- Never over bake brownies. You will end up with dry brownies.
- Find the right size pan for the recipe. Too large of a pan and you will end up with thin overbaked brownies.
- Wait for the brownies to cool completely before frosting them or even if you don’t top them with a frosting wait until they are cooled to prevent a messy brownie.
Steps for making Loaded Fudge Mint Brownies:
First step: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch pan.
Second step: In a medium saucepan add the butter and cocoa and heat over medium-low heat until melted.
Third step: Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the sugar. Blend the eggs in one at a time. Add the vanilla and stir in.
Fourth step: Stir in the flour. After the flour is mixed in, mix in the mint chocolate chips. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes
Fifth step: Remove the brownies from the oven and cool completely. Frost with the mint frosting and drizzle the melted chocolate over the frosting.
Check out these other chocolate treats:
Loaded Fudge Mint Brownies
- 1 1/8 cups butter 18 tablespoons
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mint chocolate chips
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 4 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- Green food coloring enough to make the shade of green you want (optional).
Chocolate mint drizzle
- 2/3 cup chocolate mint chips
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat melt the butter and cocoa.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the sugar. Blend the eggs in one at a time. Add the vanilla and stir in.
- Stir in the flour. When the flour is combined stir in the mint chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into a 9 by 13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes. Be careful not to over bake. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- While the brownies are cooling make the frosting.
- In a medium bowl add the egg whites, shortening, and butter. With an electric mixer beat together.
- Mix in the vanilla. Add the powdered sugar and salt and beat in. (If the frosting is too soft add additional powdered sugar).
- Add the mint extract no more than 1/4 teaspoon and blend in. If you desire more mint flavor add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon. For the food coloring add only a little at a time until the desired color.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled brownies.
- For the chocolate mint drizzle combine - 2/3 cup of chocolate mint chips, corn syrup, and milk into a small saucepan. Over low heat melt the ingredients until the chocolate is melted and creamy.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the brownies.
- Make sure that the eggs are room temperature
- Don't overbake the brownies, check with a wooden pick
- Cool completely before frosting the loaded fudge mint brownies
- Add the mint extract gradually until desired flavoring.
This recipe was originally published on April 3, 2012. It has been updated with new content and pictures on September 12, 2019.