Apple Oatmeal Coffee Cake, a simple apple coffee cake made with fresh apples, oats, and cinnamon and topped with a crunchy delicious streusel.
This apple oatmeal breakfast cake is perfect to make on lazy Sunday mornings and serve fresh while it is still warm. But please don’t feel that you have to keep it for breakfast, it makes for a wonderful treat any time of the day.
Apple oatmeal cake is simple to make. There are no mixers or fancy gadgets needed. And, you probably have all or at least most of the ingredients in your kitchen right now. Don’t you just love easy recipes like this, I know I do!
And one of the most important things when it comes to coffee cake is the topping. I love a good streusel topping on oatmeal coffee cake. This one is no exception, it is topped with a streusel that is made with butter, flour, brown sugar, oats, and nuts.
Really, doesn’t everyone love a good crumbly streusel on their coffee cakes?
Apple Oat Cake Ingredients
- Old fashion oats
- Baking powder
- Sour cream
For the Streusel Topping
- Brown sugar
- Old fashion oats
- I like to skip the mixer for this recipe. Use a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients together. Make sure not to over mix.
- When slicing the apple for this recipe make sure to cut the slices small and thin. If the apple pieces are too large you will have crunchy apples.
- I have made the recipe with walnuts and pecans, they both taste great. You can use your favorite nut for this recipe, I bet even peanuts would be a great additon for this recipe.
- I like to use old fashion oats for this recipe. I like the texture that the oats give the cake and the topping, but if you prefer you can use quick oats.
- I find that mixing the topping by hand is probably the best way to do it. If you prefer you can use a pastry cutter or a fork.
- You can use a wooden pick for check to see if the coffee cake is done. Insert the wooden pick in the center of the cake if it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs you know that it is done.
- This recipe can be frozen. I like to slice into pieces and freeze it in an airtight container. That way you can take out individual pieces as wanted.
What is the best type of apple to use in baking?
All apples are not created the same, so it is a good thing to know which apples to use when baking. I am an old fashion girl when it comes to apples. I like McIntosh when I am baking bars or a cake or just about any baking goods. I like the way they bake, they will hold their shape, and they taste great in baked goods.
Just to name a few more that would work great are Jonagold, Braeburn, Cortland, or Gala. These are ones that come to my mind, but if you have a different apple that you like to bake with go ahead and use that.
Steps for making Apple Oatmeal Coffee Cake
Make sure to preheat to the oven and grease a 9-inch spring-form pan.
In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Combine the eggs, butter, and sour cream. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until combined.
Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Top the batter with the apples.
Prepare the streusel topping. Add the toppings ingredients into a medium bowl and combine. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Check out these other yummy coffee cakes:
If you make this Apple Oatmeal Cake recipe I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Apple Oatmeal Coffee Cake
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup old fashion oats
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter very soft
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup apples finely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 cup old fashion oats
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup nuts chopped.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the eggs, 1/4 cup soft butter, and sour cream. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon just until the mixture is well combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared springform pan. Top the batter with the chopped apples.
- For the streusel combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon. Add the butter and mix until well combined. Toss in the pecans.
- Sprinkle the streusel over top of the apples. With your fingertips lightly press the streusel into the batter.
- Place the coffee cake into the preheated oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Use a spoon to mix this together. Mix just until well combined.
- If you prefer the apples can be folded into the batter instead of placing them on top.
- Make sure to preheat the oven before placing the coffee cake into the oven. Placing the coffee cake in the oven before preheating it will prevent it from baking correctly.
- I love nuts in the crumble. I have used pecan and walnuts in this recipe and they both taste great. But if you are not a fan of nuts they can be omitted.
- To test for doneness using a wooden pick insert in the middle of the cake if the pick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs the cake is done.
- You can freeze this cake in an airtight container, it freezes well.
This recipe was originally published on January 4, 2019. It has been updated with new content and pictures on November 11, 2021.