Cranberry Orange Coffee cake is a moist orange-flavored cake with tangy cranberries topped with a crunchy crumble and an orange glaze. A simple coffee that is big on flavor.
If you are looking for something that is special for breakfast or brunch, you are looking at the right recipe. This is perfect for a Sunday breakfast or brunch or for a quick breakfast during the holidays.
I love the flavor of citrus with cranberries, but I would have to say that the orange and cranberry combination is my favorite.
- For this recipe, you will want the butter at room temperature or slightly softened for the cake and the crumble. It will make it so much easier to mix it into the other ingredients.
- I like to use a sharp knife for chopping up the cranberries. With the knife, I can control the size of the cranberry pieces. I have used a food processor for this recipe and it does work. Make sure to pulse or your cranberries may get chopped too finely.
- The electric mixer works well for mixing all of the ingredients for the cake. In the end, you will want to use a spatula or a spoon to fold in the cranberries.
- The cake is done when the edges turn brown and a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean. The center may still be soft, but that is okay. It is better to underbake this recipe than to overbake it.
- The coffee cake can be stored on the counter in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days.
- If you like you can freeze it in an airtight container. It will keep for a month in the freezer. I like to cut into pieces, that way you can take out individual pieces at a time.
Steps for making Cranberry Orange Coffee Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
In a large bowl mix together the sugar, butter, and orange zest. Add the egg and mix in.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add this to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
Pour in the milk and mix it in until combined. Fold in the chopped cranberries. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
Combine the flour, sugar, and butter for the crumble. Sprinkle over top of the coffee cake batter.
Place in the oven and bake for 28 to 33 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown.
Once the coffee cake is cooled. Combined the orange juice and powdered sugar and drizzle over top of the crumble.
More easy coffee cake recipes:
- Apple Oatmeal Coffee Cake
- Spicy Topping Coffee Cake
- Lemon Ginger Coffee Cake
- Quick Sour Cream Coffee Cake
f you make this Cranberry Orange Coffee Cake. I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Cranberry Orange Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8 by 8 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter, sugar, and orange zest with an electric mixer. Add the egg and mix in.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add to the wet ingredients. Add the milk and mix until combined.
- Add the cranberries and fold them into the batter. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- For the crumble mix together the flour, sugar, and melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the cake. Place the pan in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 27 to 32 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Set on a cooling rack and cool completely.
- For the orange glaze. Beat the powdered sugar and orange juice together until you have the correct consistency. You will want it to be quite running. Drizzle over top of the cooled coffee cake. Let the glaze dry.
- Make sure to use softened butter for the coffee cake and the crumble.
- Wash a dry the cranberries. Pick out bad cranberries if there are any.
- To chop the cranberries I like to use a sharp knife. It does take longer than using a food processer, but you can control the size of pieces of the cranberries.
- The cake is done when the edges have browned and a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- The coffee cake can be stored on the counte in an airtight container.
- This coffee cake freezes nicely.
This recipe was originally published on December 21, 2015. It has been updated with new content and pictures on December 1, 2022.