Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cupcakes, these cupcakes are soft and have just the right amount of warm spices. This recipe makes a large number of cupcakes perfect for a family gathering or a potluck.
Pumpkin is one of my all-time favorite flavors when fall rolls around, although I love to eat pumpkin any time of the year. But there is something about the flavor of pumpkin along with the spices of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. It just seems like it is the perfect combination.
This recipe makes a large number of cupcakes, perfect to feed a crowd for the holidays or any time of the year. They are simple to make which is always a good thing. I have topped these with a caramel/penuche frosting which is also super simple to make. But if you prefer you can top them with a cream cheese frosting, it would be perfect also.
- Use pumpkin puree for this recipe. You do not want to use pumpkin pie mix. The pumpkin puree can be store bought our you can make your own.
- As alway when making most baked goods you want your ingredients at room temperature. The ingredients that are at room temperature will blend together easier. Also the room temperature ingredients will help the cupcake rise more easily.
- The room temperature also goes for the cream cheese that is used in this recipe. I also like to beat my cream cheese before adding any of the other ingredients. I find by beating the cream cheese by itself help it from getting lumpy. The cream cheese mixture will turn out smooth and creamy.
- Make sure that the oven is preheated. Putting cupcake in a oven that is not preheated will cause them not to raise properly. Instead of light and moist cupcake they may be heavy and underbaked.
- For the frosting I would recommend to use the cream that is listed in the ingredients instead of milk. Using cream help for a creamy smoother frosting.
- These cupcakes can be stored on the counter in an airtight container for a few days.
- If you want to keep these cupcakes for a longer period of time, you freeze them. Place them in an airtight container and freeze them up to 4 months.
Steps for making Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cupcakes
Make sure to preheat the oven at 350 degrees F. You will want to line about 28 to 30 muffin tins with paper liners.
Sift the flour and spices in a bowl and set the bowl aside. In another bowl, you will want to mix the sugars and the butter together until they are well blended.
Mix in the eggs, then the pumpkin, and then the milk. Add the flour mixture and mix in.
For the filling beat the cream cheese until creamy and then blend in the sugar, egg, and vanilla.
Fill the paper liners to about 2/3 full and spoon the cream cheese on top, Swirl the cream cheese.
Bake until the cupcakes are done. If they spring back when you touch them lightly they are done.
While the cupcakes are cooling make the frosting. When the cupcakes are cooled frost with the frosting.
Check out these recipes for more cupcakes and cake recipes:
- Spiced Apple Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcake with Butter Cream Frosting
- Buckeye Fudge Layer Cake
- Hot Fudge Poke Cake
If you make these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cupcakes I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cupcakes-
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Carmel Frosting:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons cream
- 2 1/2 – 2 3/4 cups of powder sugar
- Cupcakes –
- Mix sugar, brown sugar, and butter until well blended
- Mix eggs into the sugar mixture until it is light and fluffy
- Add pumpkin and milk mix until well blended
- Sift the all the other dry ingredients together and add to the mixture and mix for about 2 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese until creamy.
- Blend in sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Assembling cupcakes-
- Fill the cupcake liners about the 2/3 of the way full.
- Spoon a heaping about 2 teaspoons of the filling over the top of the cake mix.
- Take a knife and swirl the cream cheese into the pumpkin batter.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 20 to 24 minutes or until a tester is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- In saucepan melt butter.
- Add brown sugar and cream and bring to a boil. Boil for about a minute stirring constantly.
- Take off heat and let cool until this mixture is slightly warm
- Add powdered sugar until it is the right consistency to spread, but is not too runny..
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy.
- Use pumpkin puree for this recipe. Not pumpkin pie filling. You can use store-bought or you can make your own.
- You will want to have your ingredients at room temperature, as with most baking recipes.
- Make sure that you measure the ingredients accurately.
- When making the frosting I would highly recommend that you use cream instead of milk. This will ensure a creamier frosting.
- Yes, these cupcakes can be frozen. Just make sure to store them in an airtight container.
This recipe was originally published on September 18, 2011. It has been updated with new content and pictures on November 4, 2021.
This is my favorite time of the year too! Your cupcakes look so scrumptious! I can’t wait to bake pumpkin goodies.
I love pumpkin anything – these look amazing.
John / Kitchen Riffs
Such a great, seasonal recipe. Love pumpkin, and I’ll never say no to cream cheese anything. 🙂 Really nice — thanks.