Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Chowder is a hearty delicious, creamy, a stick to your ribs kind of soup made with chicken, vegetables, and cheddar cheese.
I always look forward to the fall weather when it starts cooling down. That is when a bowl of hot soup is the perfect comfort food. It is also one of my favorite foods, I could eat soup every day of the week and never tire of it.
This recipe has just a few ingredients and is simple to make. The chowder is thick and creamy and surely will warm you when the air is chilly outside. Make a big kettle and have soup to enjoy for days.
Is Chowder a soup?
I got to thinking about soup and chowder and wondering is chowder a soup. This is what I found out – Yes, chowder is a soup. It is usually a thick rich chunky soup that starts with a white sauce. Most Americans think of clam chowder when it comes to chowder, but it comes with many different ingredients today.
- I use ground chicken for this recipe, if you prefer you can use cooked chicken breast or thigh meat.
- Choose the correct potato for chowder, you will want a starchy potato. Russets are perfect for this recipe. They will even help with the thickening.
- I like to peel the skins on the potatoes, but if you prefer you can leave the skins on.
- Use baby carrots. You don’t have to worry about peeling the carrots so it make the process a little quicker
- Try and cut the vegetable uniformaly to help with cooking evenly.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container.
Step for making Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Chowder
In a Dutch oven brown the ground chicken. Once it is brown remove it from the Dutch oven.
Add butter along with the vegetables and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until they start to soften.
Add the flour and mix until it is blended with the vegetables.
Slowly add the half and half, stirring until blended. Then stir in the chicken broth.
Add the bouillon, bay leaf, and cheese, stir until the cheese is melted.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Check out these soup recipes:
If you make this Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Chowder I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Chowder
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot brown the chicken breaking into small pieces as it cooks. Brown the chicken until there is no pink showing.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove it from the Dutch oven and set aside.
- Melt the 1/4 cup butter in the Dutch oven. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, and celery. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables start to get tender. Stir often so that the vegetables do not burn.
- Stir in the flour until it is blended into the vegetables. Slowly add the half and half, stirring until blended in. Add the chicken broth and stir in.
- Add the bay leaf, bouillon, and cheese, stir until the cheese is melted.
- Bring the chowder to a boil and reduce heat and continue to simmer/cook for another 20 minutes or until vegetables are fork-tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- I use ground chicken for this recipe, but if you prefer you can use cooked chicken breast or thigh meat.
- Use a starchy potato for the best result for this chowder.
- Try to cut the vegetable in uniformly to cook evenly.
- Store leftover in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
This recipe was originally published on February 25, 2018. It has been updated with new content and pictures on November 18, 2021.