Triple Chocolate Muffins are the perfect muffin for all chocolate lovers. These tender muffins are perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast or an afternoon snack.
These muffins are super chocolaty and are made with cocoa powder, milk chocolate chips, and white chocolate. You will love how tender, moist, and super easy to make.
The white chocolate chips are a great addition to these chocolate muffins along with the chocolate chips. I believe that there can never be too much chocolate. So no doubt, this is one of my favorite muffins.
- Use natural cocoa powder instead of Dutch-processed.
- Do not overmix the batter. It is okay to have some lumps in the batter.
- This recipe makes about 16 muffins. It is okay if you have a 12-cup tin to bake 12 muffins and then when the first muffins are done, bake the remaining batter.
- The number of muffins may change depending on the size of your muffin tin cups and how full you fill the cups.
- Ovens can back differently, so check your muffins about 5 minutes before the time listed in the recipe. Use a wooden pick to insert in the middle of the muffin, if the wooden pick comes out clean the muffins are done.
- The muffins can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for 2 to 3 days or in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- The muffins can also be frozen for a later date. Place in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Thaw muffins at room temperature or place them in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds or until they are thawed.
Steps for making Triple Chocolate Muffins
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line the muffin cups with paper liners.
Combine the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
Whisk together the eggs, oil, milk, sour cream, and vanilla together in a medium bowl.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Add the chocolate chips and fold them in. Reserve a 1/4 cup mixture of chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
Fill the muffin tin cups, sprinkle the extra chips on top of the batter, and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven a cool.
Check out these other breakfast recipes:
- Blueberry Honey Oat Breakfast Cake
- English Muffin Breakfast Pizza
- Apple Streusel Muffins
- Strawberry Sour Cream Scones with Lemon Icing
If you make these triple chocolate muffins, I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Triple Chocolate Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line muffin cups.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix just until the ingredients are combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and white chocolate chips reserving a 1/4 mixture of the chocolate chips for the top of the muffins
- Fill prepared muffin cups to about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool for 2 to 3 minutes in the tins, then remove to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Use natural cocoa powder for this recipe.
- Do not over-mix the batter. Over-mixing the batter can result in dry and tough muffins.
- The number of muffins may change depending on the size of the muffin tin cups and how full you fill the cups.
- Fill the cups about 3/4 the way full.
- Check the muffins for doneness about 5 minutes early, ovens can vary. Check with a wooden pick, if the pick out clean the muffins are done.
- These muffins freeze well.
This recipe was originally published on June 15, 2023. It has been updated with new content and pictures on April 20, 2023