The Strawberry Sour Cream Scones with Lemon Icing are a tender scone loaded with strawberries and topped with a drizzle of lemon icing.
These scones are the perfect treat for a Sunday morning or brunch. They go perfect with some eggs or fresh fruit, for a simple weekend lazy morning.
I have always loved pairing strawberries with lemon. The lemon icing is the perfect way to top off these tender scones. The icing is not necessary, but the family likes a little bit of a sweet drizzle over the top of scones.
If you love eating scones, but have never made them, I would like to highly recommend that you give it a try. You will be surprised how easy they are to make. It is one of the ways that I like to relax.
- The first rule always for scones is to use cold butter. This will make a better scone. They will rise better, so they will be lighter and flaky.
- Cut the butter into small pieces or use a box grater and grate the butter. This will make it easier to work the butter into the dry ingredients.
- The egg and sour cream should be right out of the refrigerator as well.
- Don’t overwork the dough. Overworking the dough will make for tough scones.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into wedges. I find that it is the easiest way to do this.
- The scones are best if eaten the same day. If you don’t eat all of the scones the day you make them store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Scones freeze well, so if you are keeping them longer than a day or two I would recommend placing them in the freezer in an airtight container.
Steps for making Strawberry Sour Cream Scones with Lemon Icing
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
Add the butter and cut it into the flour mixture to form small crumbs
Combine the milk, sour cream, egg, and strawberries. Add to the flour mixture.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Form the dough into a 7-inch circle and cut it into 8 wedges.
Place the wedges onto the baking sheet. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes
Check out some additional recipes that you may enjoy:
If you make these Strawberry Sour Cream Scones with Lemon Icing I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Strawberry Sour Cream Scones with Lemon Icing
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Dash salt
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, a baking mat, or lightly grease.
- Add and mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the butter in until small crumbs form.
- Combine the sour cream, heavy cream, egg, and strawberries and fold in, until the ingredients are combined.
- On a floured surface knead the dough slightly. Turn the dough on flour if needed.
- Pat out the dough into a 7-inch circle.
- Using a pizza cutter cut into 8 equal wedges.
- Place scones about 2 inches apart. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Lemon Icing
- Combine the powdered sugar, salt,and lemon juice. Stir until you have the correct consistency. Drizzle over cooled scones.
- Make sure to use cold butter for this recipe.
- The sour cream and egg can be used right out of the refrigerator.
- Don’t overwork the dough. Overworking makes the scone tough.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the scones into wedges.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a day or two.
- These scones freeze well.
This recipe was originally published on September 7, 2016. It has been updated with new content and pictures on June 16, 2022