Chicken Tostadas have crispy tostada shells loaded with refried beans, shredded taco chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream. It is a fun way to change up taco night.
Not only are the tostadas delicious, but they are also fun and super easy to make. Top them with your favorite toppings to make the whole family happy.
My family loves when these are served. I think one of the reasons is that they love Mexican food and they can add the toppings that they enjoy. Make them for Taco Tuesday instead of tacos.
- Use chicken breast meat or thigh meat for this recipe.
- Use two forks for shredding the chicken. You will want to shred it into small pieces, it will make it easier to eat.
- Store-bought taco seasoning works well for seasoning the chicken, but if you have a favorite recipe for taco chicken you can use that for seasoning.
- If you don’t like shredded chicken, you can substitute ground chicken, turkey, or beef.
- The chicken can be cooked the day before to save time on the day that the tostadas are made.
- The tostadas are best when they are freshly made. If not eating all of the tostadas at one time store the ingredients separately in containers in the refrigerator.
Steps for making Chicken Tostadas
Cook the chicken until no longer pink. Cool the chicken and shred it using two forks.
Add the shredded chicken to a large skillet, add the taco seasoning, and follow the direction on the seasoning packet.
While the chicken is in the skillet heat the refried beans on the stove or the microwave.
Once the chicken and the beans are ready, spread about 1/4 cup of refried beans over the shells.
Top the refried beans with the shredded chicken.
Top the chicken with the lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream. They are ready to serve.
Additional easy dinner ideas:
If you make these Chicken Tostadas, I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
- 1 pound chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 8 tostada shells
- 15 ounce refried beans
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 ounces Queso Fresco cheese crumbled
- Add chicken to a large saucepan and cover with water. Cook over medium-high heat until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Cool slightly and shred chicken using two forks.
- Add the shredded chicken to a large skillet add the taco season and water and cooking using the direction on the taco season packet.
- While the chicken is heating in another saucepan add the refried beans until heated.
- Take the tostada shells and spread them with the heated refried beans.
- Top the beans with the chicken, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream.
- Serve with lime wedges or your other favorites.
- Once the chicken is cooked and cooled slightly use two forks to shred it. The forks make it easy and fast.
- The chicken can be cooked the day. Just cool the shredded chicken completely and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- Store-bought taco seasoning works well for this recipe. It makes the recipe even easier to make.
- Any leftovers should be refrigerated in separate containers. The tostadas are best when they are made fresh.