Chicken Kiev Meatballs are simple to make and great for a weekend dinner. Tender juicy chicken meatballs wrapped around butter, parsley, and garlic.
The meatballs do take a little time to make so, I do recommend that you make them for a weekend dinner or at least when you are not rushed.
The concept for the meatballs is the same as making chicken kiev, but instead of a chicken breast, you are using ground chicken. The breading helps to keep the meatballs juicy and tender. This is a dish that young and old will love. Serve it with rice, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, or your favorite.
- Use real butter for this and not margarine. The butter will give the meatball a better flavor.
- Make sure to chill the butter completely before cutting. Keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the meatballs.
- Divide the meat into 20 portions before forming the meat into meatballs. It will make it easier to make meatballs that are all the same size.
- Before adding the butter to the meatball, make a patty with the meat, place the butter in the center of the patty, and form the meatball around the butter.
- Chill the meatballs for at least 30 minutes before coating them with the bread crumbs. This will make the meatballs easier to handle.
- Make sure to roll the meatballs in the egg wash and bread crumbs twice to have the meatballs coated well.
- You may need to reshape the meatballs a little after coating them with the crumbs.
- This makes a large batch of meatballs, so if you like you can cut the recipe in half.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- The meatballs freeze well. Freeze in an airtight container for 1 to 3 months.
Steps for Making Chicken Kiev Meatballs
Take soft butter and mix in the garlic and parsley. Make an 8 to 10 inch long log with the butter, wrap it in plastic wrap, and set it in the freezer.
Season the ground chicken with salt and pepper. Divide the chicken into 20 portions. Wrap each portion around one piece of the butter and form into a meatball. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
Once the meatballs are chilled, set up a workstation. Add flour, egg and water mixture, and bread crumbs into separate bowls.
Roll the meatballs in flour, then the beaten egg, and next roll in the bread crumbs. Repeat in the beaten egg and the bread crumbs.
Place on a baking pan that has been lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.
Lightly spray the meatballs with non-stick cooking spray and bake for 30 minutes, turning once.
More delicious chicken recipes:
- Easy Chicken Orzo Salad
- Simple Broiled Chicken Tenders
- Honey Lime Garlic Chicken
- Taco Chicken Strips
If you make these chicken kiev meatballs, I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Chicken Kiev Meatballs
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley dried
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 eggs beat with the water
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- Take the softened butter and mix in the minced garlic and parsley. Once you have it all mixed together, place the butter on some plastic wrap. Roll the butter up in the plastic wrap and form a "log" that is about 8 to 10 inches long. Place in the refrigerator or freezer until it is hard.
- Take the ground chicken and mix in the salt and pepper. Divide the chicken into 20 equal amounts.
- Once the butter is hard, remove it from the refrigerator and cut it into 20 pieces.
- Take one of the ground chicken portions that you have divided and wrap the ground chicken around the butter, and continue until you have 20 meatballs.
- Once the meatballs are formed place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the meatballs are chilled set up your breading station. Add the flour, eggs with water, and bread crumbs into individual bowls.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- First, roll your meatballs in the flour, then the egg and water mixture, then into the bread crumbs, and then you will repeat the eggs and bread crumbs.
- Line a baking pan (I used a jelly roll pan) with aluminum foil. Spray with a non-stick cooking spray. Set the chicken Kiev meatballs on the prepared pan. Set in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and spray with the non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flip after 15 minutes.
- Use real butter for the better flavor
- Make sure to refrigerate/freeze butter before making meatballs.
- When rolling the chicken Kiev meatballs in the eggs and bread crumbs, divide them into batches. Start out with 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons of water and 1 cup of bread crumbs, and roll the first 10 meatballs. After the first 10 are completed. Add the other 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons of water and the other cup of bread crumbs.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- These meatballs freeze well. Freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
This recipe was originally published on January 20, 2016. It has been updated with new content and pictures, on April 13, 2023