Orange Date Bread is a moist quick bread flavored with orange juice, orange zest, and dates This delicious bread is easy to make and uses no yeast.
This is another recipe that I ate as a kid. I have always been one that loved dates in baked goods. The dates and orange combination is a wonderful combination in the bread.
This bread is one of those bread that get moister as time goes on. It is perfect if you want a quick bite for breakfast or a snack in the afternoon with a cup of tea or coffee. My mom always made this for the Christmas season. It was perfect for Christmas, but it tastes great any time of the year.
- Have your ingredients at room temperature.
- Do not over-mix the batter. Mix just until combined.
- Grease and flour the loaf pan thoroughly. This will help with the removal of the bread once it is baked.
- To check if it is done use a wooden pick. Insert in the center and if it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs the bread is done.
- This bread freezes well. Place in an airtight freezer container. Can be kept frozen for several months.
Steps for making Orange Date Bread
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
Zest the orange and squeeze the orange juice from the orange.
Add the orange juice to a one-cup measuring cup. Fill the cup with boiling water to make one cup. Add the vanilla, orange zest, and butter to the juice mixture.
Pour the orange mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix together. Fold in the chopped dates.
Spread the batter in the prepared loaf pan. Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and remove. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
Check out these additional quick breads:
If you make this Orange Date Bread, I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Orange Date Bread
- 1 large orange
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Zest the orange and squeeze the zest from the orange. Put the juice in a one-cup measuring cup. Add enough boiling water to make a full cup.
- Add the orange zest, vanilla, and butter to the orange juice mixture.
- Add the orange juice mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Then remove from the pan and cool on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Make sure to grease and flour the loaf pan. This will make the bread come out of the pan easily.
- Have the ingredients at room temperature.
- Do not over-mix the batter.
- Check the bread for doneness with a wooden pick. Insert in the middle of the loaf, if it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs the bread is done.
- The bread freezes well.