Lemon Pudding Cake a soft cake full of lemon flavor that forms a light lemon pudding under the cake, it can be served warm or chilled.
This lemon pudding cake is a simple cake that my family enjoys.
This recipe comes from a cookbook that I received for a wedding gift many years ago. The Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book is worn and some of the pages are missing. I made so many of the recipes from this book over the years it is no wonder the book is so worn.
We have eaten this cake both warm and chilled. I believe that the chilled form of this cake is my favorite way to eat this cake. One thing to know when chilling the cake the pudding is absorbed into the cake leaving a super moist cake.
What is a pudding cake?
Basically, a pudding cake is a souffle that has too much liquid. The additional liquid permits the air bubbles for the whipped egg whites to form a thin batter during baking.
Do you like dessert made with lemon? Check out these lemon recipes:
Lemon Pudding Cake
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl sift together the sugar and the flour. Combine the melted butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice and add to the dry ingredients.
- Divide the egg yolk from the egg white. Beat the egg yolks until well beaten and mix in the milk. Add the egg and milk mixture to the cake batter.
- With clean beaters beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into cake batter.
- Pour the batter into an 8 x 8-inch baking pan. Place the baking pan into a larger pan and add water until it is about 1 inch deep.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve the cake warm or chilled.