Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are soft crumbly cookies with a touch of lemon and poppy seeds and topped with tangy lemon icing.
Lemon poppy seed cookies are super addictive and very easy to make. Once you make them you will be making them over and over again.
Lemon and poppy seed is a classic combination. It is the perfect combination for these sweet crumbly cookies. The cookies themselves have a light lemony flavor, the lemon icing brings more of the lemon flavor to the cookie.
- Use real butter for these cookies. I use salted butter in this recipe for great flavor.
- Use an electric mixer to blend the ingredients together. The butter and sugar should be creamed together.
- Make sure to preheat the oven to bake the cookies.
- The cookies have enough butter in them, so there is no need to grease the baking sheets or use parchment paper.
- Try to roll all the cookies into the same size balls, this will help the cookies to bake evenly.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days.
- These cookies freeze well. Place in an airtight container or a freezer bag. They can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Step for making lemon poppy seed cookies
Preheat oven. Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl and cream together with an electric mixer.
Add the eggs one at a time and mix in. Mix in the lemon zest and juice.
Sift together the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well.
Roll into 1-inch balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 11 to 13 minutes.
While the cookies are cooling make the icing. Combine enough lemon juice with powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Spread icing over cooled cookies.
I have more cookie recipes that I am sure you will love:
If you make these lemon poppy seed cookies, I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time and mix in.
- Mix in the lemon juice and zest.
- Sift together the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, cream tartar, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix in.
- Once the cookie dough is completed, roll dough into about 1 inch balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven. Then remove from the cookie sheet and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are baking mix together the lemon icing. In a small bowl add the powdered sugar and gradually add the lemon juice until you have the right consistency for icing the cookies.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled spread each cookie with the lemon icing.
- Use real butter for this recipe. It will give the cookies the best flavor.
- Make sure to cream the sugar and butter together thoroughly.
- Roll the cookie dough into about 1-inch balls. Try to keep the balls the same size, this will help them to bake evenly.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days.
- These cookies freeze well. Freeze in an airtight container or a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
This recipe was originally published on May 17, 2018. It has been updated with new content and pictures on June 8, 2023.