Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage is a cheesy pasta dish made with Italian sausage, lots of cheese, and ziti, something the whole family will love.
This pasta dish is easy to make and it is loaded with delish Italian sausage, gooey cheese, and tender pasta. Serve it with a side salad and crusty bread for an easy dinner.
Pasta and Italian sausage is always a winner at our house. It is simple to make and there are never any complaints when this dish is served.
- Use the direction on the box for cooking the pasta, but a minute or two less since the pasta will bake in the oven.
- Use a large skillet for the Italian sausage and tomato sauce mix, so it does not overflow.
- Add the sausage and vegetables together and cook until the sausage is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender, before adding the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
- To reheat place in a microwave-safe container and heat until the desired temperature or cover and bake in a 325 oven until heated to the desired temperature.
- This can be frozen, placed in an airtight container, and frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw before heating.
Steps for making Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage
In a large skillet add the sausage, green pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook until the sausage is brown and the vegetables are tender. Cook pasta while browning the sausage.
Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and stir in. Stir in the Italian seasoning.
Add one cup of mozzarella cheese, the parmesan cheese, and the cottage cheese, and stir in.
In a 9 by 13-inch baking dish spread 1/3 of the sauce and top with 1/2 of the noodles. Repeat this step by topping the last layer of noodles with the last 1/3 of the sauce. Top with two cups of mozzarella cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven until the cheese is lightly browned.
Check out these other pasta dishes:
- Jalapeno Mac and Cheese
- Skillet Mac and Cheese
- Cherry Tomato Basil Angel Hair Pasta
- Chicken Flavored Egg Noodles with Butter and Garlic
If you make this baked ziti with Italian sausage, I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage
- 16 ounce ziti
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 large green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 29 ounces tomato sauce
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- In a large skillet add the Italian sausage, onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the sausage is browned and onions, peppers, and garlic are tender.
- While the sausage is being prepared, cook the ziti following the instructions on the box. Cook a minute or two less than the package states, so it is al dente.
- Once the sausage is browned stir in the spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes. Add the cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and mix until well combined.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch pan. Top with half of the noodles. Top the noodles with another 1/3 meat sauce, and repeat one more time. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve.
- Cook the pasta a minute or two less than what the direction on the box says.
- Use a large skillet to brown the sausage and vegetables, so you have room to add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
- To reheat you can heat it in the microwave to the desired temperature or in a preheated 325-degree F oven. Cover when reheating.
- This can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
This recipe was originally published on December 6, 2018. It has been updated with new content and pictures on June 15, 2023.