Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers are a meal in themselves, the peppers are stuffed with Italian sausage, orzo, onion, garlic, and mozzarella cheese.
These sausage stuffed peppers are a change up from the ones that are made with ground beef and rice, but they are every bit as good.
We enjoy a good stuffed pepper at our house. I decided to change things up this time around. Any dish with Italian sausage is a hit in our house. We also enjoy eating orzo in different dishes. So it was a no-brainer when I decided to change things up to use the Italian sausage and orzo.
The different color peppers make for a colorful dinner and delicious one as well.
Is there a difference in flavors when it comes to the different color peppers?
As a matter of fact, there is a difference in the flavors. The green bell pepper is actually is considered a less mature pepper than its counterparts. As the peppers mature and turn colors they become sweeter and less bitter. The red peppers usually cost more because they stay in the ground for a longer time.
If you like the taste of bell peppers check out these recipes:
Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large bell peppers your favorite color
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo
- Wash and dry the bell peppers. Cut the pepper in half from top to bottom. Remove the membrane and the seeds. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the orzo using the instructions on the box. Once cooked drain and set aside.
- In a skillet add the Italian sausage, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Cook until the sausage is brown and the onions and garlic are soft. Mix in the spaghetti sauce. Add the Italian seasoning and stir until blended.
- Stir in the orzo until well mixed. Add about half of the mozzarella and mix in.
- Place the bell peppers into a 9 by 13-inch pan. Spoon the Italian sausage mixture, divide between the 8 halves. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Testing the peppers for softness. Remove the peppers from the oven and remove the aluminum foil. Top the peppers with the remaining mozzarella cheese and place back in the oven.
- Continue to bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt and the peppers are tender.