Hearty Black Bean Soup is the type of soup that will warm you and stick to your ribs to keep you going. It is perfect for those cold winter days when you want something to warm and tasty.
If you are looking for a healthy soup recipe for your family, this recipe will work. It is made with lean ground chicken, onions, black beans, diced tomatoes, salsa, chiles, lime juice, low sodium chicken broth, and a handful of seasonings.
This easy soup can be made easily for a weeknight or the weekend dinner. It takes about an hour from start to finish. Serve it with a sandwich or a side salad or some crusty bread for a delicious dinner.
- If you prefer not to use ground chicken, you can use ground turkey, ground beef, or cut up chicken breast.
- Use low sodium chicken broth and no salt diced tomatoes and black beans for a healthier soup.
- Make sure to rinse the black beans before adding them to the soup.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper after the all of the ingredients are added and heated through. This will help with not over salting the soup.
- If the soup is thicker than you like add additional broth.
- Serve with sour cream, green onions, tortilla chips, cheese, or your favorite.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- The soup can be frozen to keep longer. Make sure to freeze in an airtight freezer container.
Steps for making Hearty Black Bean Soup
Add the ground chicken and chopped onions to a Dutch oven or soup pot. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink and the onions are tender. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
Stir in the black beans, diced tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, and rice and mix in.
Add the cumin, oregano, and chili powder and stir in.
Mix in the the chicken broth and lime juice. Bring to a boil, once it is boiling reduce heat and continue to cook until the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Check out these additional soup recipes:
If you make this hearty black bean soup, I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Hearty Black Bean Soup
- 16 ounce ground chicken
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic minced
- 29 ounces black beans rinsed
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 7 ounces green chiles
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the ground chicken a chopped onions to a large Dutch oven or a soup pot and cook over medium heat until the chicken is no longer pink and the onion is tender.
- Add the garlic and stir in, cook for another minute.
- Stir in the black beans, diced tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, and rice.
- Add the cumin, oregano, and chili powder and stir in until well combined.
- Pour in the chicken broth and lime juice and mix in.
- Bring the soup to a boil and lower temperature, cook until the rice is cooked through about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you prefer you can substitute the ground chicken with ground turkey, ground beef, or chicken breast.
- The black beans should be rinsed before adding them to the soup.
- Use low sodium chicken broth and diced tomatoes for a healthier soup.
- The soup is quite thick, if you prefer soup that is not so thick add additional chicken broth.
- The soups freezes well. Make sure to use an airtight freezer container.
This recipe was originally published on January 16, 2017. It has been updated with new content, pictures, and some changes to the recipe on February 2, 2023.