Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup is the perfect comfort food; loaded with potatoes, leeks, and cheddar cheese it will warm you on those cool days of autumn or the blustery cold days of winter.
This slow cooker potato leek soup is a soup that you can throw together in the slow cooker and walk away from it. Put it together in the morning and let it cook all day, I love soups like this.
Well, it’s officially autumn. I have to say that this is my favorite time of year. Maybe it’s the cooler weather or that it’s the time of year that soup is back on the menu on a regular basis.
Yep, I love soup and I love making it in big batches so that I can take for my lunches at work. In my book, there is nothing that is more comforting than soup.
I also love recipes that can be made in the slow cooker. It makes life that much easier.
What is a leek?
If you have not cooked with leeks before, the leek is a cousin to the onion. The flavor of the leek is milder and more delicate than an onion.
How to clean a leek:
Cut off the tough green ends and discard. Cut most of the root end leaving a little to keep the layers from falling apart. Cut the leek lengthwise and wash under running water until all of the dirt is removed. Pat dry and slice.
How do you make slow cooker potato leek soup?
First off you will want to clean the leek. Chop off the top leaves. The next step is to chop it up and you will want to saute it in a little olive oil. You will need to peel and cube 8 cups of potatoes, chop 3 stalks of celery, and slice 1 cup of carrots. Add the vegetables into the slow cooker along with 32 ounces of vegetable broth, salt, pepper, and a couple of bay leaves. Cook on low for 6 to 7 1/2 hours. When the potatoes are soft mash some of the potatoes. You will then want to add 1 cup of heavy cream and 8 ounces of cheddar cheese. Cook for another 1/2 hour or more. Serve.
Do you love soup as much as I do? Check out these soup recipes:
Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup
- 3 leeks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 3 stalks chopped celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Wash and clean the leeks. Cut in thin slices. Place the tablespoon in a skillet and saute the leeks until tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Peel and dice the potatoes, slice the carrots, and chop the celery. Add the vegetables to the slow cooker along with the leeks. Add the bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Add the vegetable broth.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and let cook for about 7 hours or until the potatoes are tender. With a potato masher mash some of the potatoes (your desired amount).
- Stir in the cream and the cheese. Continue to cook until the cheese is melted and is creamy.