Easy Chicken Pita, full of flavor, and the pita is stuffed with delicious and healthy ingredients. This pita sandwich comes together in less than an hour so it is perfect for during the weekend or serve for dinner during the weekend.
I am a big fan of pitas. And, this pita sandwich was not a disappointment. The chicken is seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper which gives the chicken great flavor. The pita is stuffed with chicken, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, onion, and a full-flavored cucumber sauce.
What is a pita?
A pita is a hallow unleavened bread that forms a pocket that can be filled.
Can you use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt in the cucumber sauce?
Yes, if you don’t have Greek yogurt on hand, but you have sour cream, you can use the sour cream. The texture and flavor may be a touch different, but it should work.
What to fill the easy chicken pita with?
Other things that you may want to add to the pita:
- Green pepper
- Red pepper
- Black Olives
- Feta cheese
Do you need a cast-iron skillet to cook the chicken breast:
I highly recommend making the chicken in a cast-iron skillet if you have one in your kitchen. I feel when the chicken is made in the cast-iron skillet it has more and all-around better flavor. But, if you don’t have a cast-iron skillet a regular skillet or fry pan will do.
Steps for making the Easy Chicken Pitas:
First step: Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Combine the seasonings for the chicken and rub the combination of seasoning over both sides of the chicken breast.
Second step: Add the chicken breast to the skillet and brown each side of the chicken quickly. Once the chicken is browned nicely turn the temperature down slightly and continue to cook until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Third Step: While the chicken is cooking prepare the cucumber sauce.
Fourth Step: Prepare the lettuce, tomato, onion, and slice the chicken. Stuff the pitas with using the prepared vegetables, chicken, and cucumber sauce.
Check out these easy meal recipes:
Easy Chicken Pita
- 3 Pitas cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Skinless bone chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup shredded cucumber
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic minced
Filling for the pita
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce
- Combine the cumin, oregano, garlic and onion powder, salt, and pepper together.
- In a cast-iron skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Rub the seasoning over both sides of the chicken breast. Place the chicken in the skillet that has the olive oil.
- Brown both sides of the chicken. Once the chicken is browned turn down the heat a bit and continue to cook until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the temperature has reached 165 degrees F,
- While the chicken is cooking make the cucumber sauce.
- Shred the cucumber with a box grater. Make sure to squeeze the liquid out of the cucumber and set aside. Chop the dill and mince the garlic.
- Mix the Greek yogurt and the mayonnaise together.
- Add the cucumber, dill, and garlic mix until well combined.
Assemble the pitas
- Take half of a pita and spread with some of the cucumber sauce. Stuff with the chicken, tomato, lettuce, and onion. Top with additional cucumber sauce if desired.
- For the best tasting chicken use a cast-iron skillet.
- Add your favorite veggies or cheese to these pitas if you desire.
- Slice the chicken thin for these pitas, the slices will fit better into the pita pockets.
This recipe was originally published on May 30, 2012. It has been updated with new content and pictures on September 16, 2019.