Creamy Chicken Enchiladas is a family favorite that comes together quickly and is full of flavor.
Creamy chicken enchiladas is a recipe that my sister-in-law gave to me ages ago. I know that it is one of her family’s favorite recipes and since she gave it to me it has become one of my family favorites too.
I didn’t grow up with foods such as enchiladas or tacos. Growing up on a dairy farm it was meat and potatoes all the way with some vegetables thrown in. As a kid we never complained, my mom was a fantastic cook and even though she is in her 80s she is still a great cook. But my dad did not go for foods that would include chilis or even green peppers. That was just how it was. I am not complaining, I really didn’t mind it back then.
These days I still enjoy my meat and potatoes, but I also really love to make recipes like this creamy chicken enchiladas.
When you look at the ingredients you will see that there is a can of cream of chicken soup (condensed soups). Now I know some of you out there will not touch a can of any condensed soup, but really I do like using them once in a while when making dishes like this. I think they give the dishes great flavor and a creamy texture.
But if you can’t stand the thought of using a can cream of chicken I have found a recipe from Dinner then Dessert that I think would be a great alternative.
Ok enough about this cream of chicken soup. The enchiladas are full of flavor and full of a creamy chicken filling. Topped with cheddar cheese. Really who can resist creamy chicken and cheese?
Looking for an easy delicious chicken recipe that the whole family will love try these creamy chicken enchiladas.
Check out these other chicken recipes:
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-10 ounce can diced tomatoes and chilis
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 - 10 3/4 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken cut up
- 10 medium tortilla shells
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan, saute onions until tender. Once the onions are tender remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the diced tomatoes and chilis, sour cream, and soup. Mix until well blended.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the mixture for the sauce.
- Fold in the chicken and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese to the mixture that remains in the skillet.
- Divide the chicken mixture into 10 equal parts and place on the tortilla shells. Roll the tortillas up and place in an ungreased 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Combine the reserved 3/4 cup of sauce and the milk. Spoon the sauce over the tortillas. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 Minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheese. Place the tortillas back in the oven and heat until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream or salsa.