Chocolate Halfway Bars are addictive with a buttery crust, chocolate chips, and sweet meringue. My family fell in love with these bars.
These bars are a recipe from my past. My mom made these bars for my family when I was a kid. They were always one of my favorites.
The delicious bars have a cookie bottom with a sweet brown sugar meringue and chocolate chips in the middle. They are very addictive, once you take a bite you are going to want more.
- Have the butter and eggs at room temperature. It will help with creaming these ingredients with the sugars.
- When separating the eggs, be careful not to get any yolk in with the egg whites. The whites need to be beaten into stiff peaks for the meringue, any yolk in with the whites will prevent the whites from making meringue.
- I would not suggest using milk chocolate chips for this recipe. The meringue and cookie part are sweet. I would suggest using semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips.
- Spread small amounts of meringue at a time. Do not pour and try and spread it, this will not work.
- The bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- The bars can be frozen. The bars should be completely cooled and placed in an airtight container before freezing them.
Steps for making chocolate halfway bars
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
Cream together the butter, sugar, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Add the egg yolks and mix in.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well.
Take the dough and pat it into a 9 by 13-inch pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the dough.
Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add the cup of brown sugar and mix until well combined.
Spread the meringue over top of the chocolate chips.
Bake in the oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees F.
Here are additional sweet recipes you will love making:
If you make these chocolate halfway bars, I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Chocolate Halfway Bars
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar divided
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt set aside. ,
- Add the butter, sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar to a medium mixing bowl. With an electric mixer mix until well combined.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites. Place the whites in a separate bowl and add the yolks and vanilla to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the dough and mix well.
- Pat the dough into an ungreased 9 by 13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the base.
- Take the egg whites and with an electric mixer (with clean beaters) mix until stiff peaks form.
- Add the remaining brown sugar and mix well.
- Spread the meringue over top of the chocolate chips.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.
- The butter and eggs should be at room temperature.
- Be careful when separating the eggs. If you get any yolk in the white they will not beat into stiff peaks.
- Spread small amounts of meringue at a time. Do not pour the meringue on the bars and try an spread.
- Store the bars in an airtight container for up to 5 days. No need to refrigerate.