Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Walnut Cookies are delicious with a great texture. Made with semi-sweet chocolate chips, old fashions oats, and crunchy walnuts.
These cookies turn out chewy and tender. The walnuts bring great flavor to the cookies, and I love the crunch that they add.
I love how food brings back good memories. My grandma always added walnuts to her chocolate chip cookies, and they were always one of my favorites. So these cookies are not only something that I love the flavor of, but I love the memories too.
- As always when making most cookies have the ingredients at room temperature.
- The oven should be preheated before placing the cookies in the oven to bake.
- If you don’t have a cookie scoop, a teaspoon/dinner spoon works well for making cookies. When using a teaspoon make sure to have a rounded/heaping teaspoon of dough. It should be about an inch in diameter.
- The number of cookies may vary depending on how big you make them.
- Cool the cookies on a wired rack before placing them in an airtight container.
- The cookies freeze well. Make sure to have them in an airtight container. They can be kept frozen for up to 3 months.
Steps for making chocolate chip oatmeal walnut cookies
To a large bowl add the butter shortening, butter, sugar, and brown sugar, beat with an electric mixer until creamed together.
Add the eggs and mix until they are mixed in. Add the vanilla and mix in.
In a medium bowl sift together the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add it to the dough and mix in.
Add the chocolate chips and walnut mix by hand or a wooden spoon.
Drop by heaping teaspoons onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 12 to 14 minutes.
For additional cookie recipes, check these recipes out:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- No-Bake Marshmallow Chocolate Cookies
- Carrot Zucchini Cookies
- Zucchini Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
If you make these chocolate chip oatmeal walnut cookies, I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups old fashion oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup walnut chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper, or a baking matt, or lightly grease it.
- In a large bowl add the butter, shortening, sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mix beat until creamy.
- Add the egg and mix until well combined. Add the vanilla and mix in.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, old fashion oats, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the cookie dough, and mix until all is incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts and mix in by hand or a wooden spoon.
- Drop by heaping teaspoons on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes. Remove the pan and set on a cooling rack for a minute or two. Remove cookies from baking sheet and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- The number of cookies will vary on how big you make the cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes or until the cookies are lightly brown and the top of the cookies are not doughy.
- Cool the cookies completely before you place them in a storage container.
- Cookies freeze well – place in an airtight container for freezing. The cookies can be kept frozen for up to 3 months.
This recipe was originally published on October 16, 2014. It has been updated with new content and pictures on July 20, 2023.