Pear cream cheese crumble bars, are the perfect oatmeal crumble bar that features a cream cheese and pear filling. It is just the right combination of ingredients perfect for a fall dessert.
Sometimes I forget how delicious pears are when it comes to baked goods. Normally I turn to apples when making a fruity dessert in the fall. But when it comes down to things I really like the flavor of the pears just as well as apples if not better when it comes to baking.
These pear cream cheese bars are one of my favorite bars in the fall. Not only do they taste great, but they also fill the house with a wonderful aroma while they are baking.
What are the best pears to use when baking?
My favorite pear when it comes to baking or eating for that matter is the Bosc pear. We discovered these pears quite a few years ago and never turned back. The Bosc and Anjou are ideal pears when it comes to baking they are the best at holding their shape and texture. Avoid Comice pears when baking, their flesh has a tendency for falling apart when baking with them, they are best for eating raw.
Ingredients and substitutes:
- Flour – All-purpose flour is perfect
- Old Fashion Oats – I love the texture of the old fashion oats and they look in a dessert when they are baked. But if you don’t feel the same about old fashion oats you can use quick oats.
- Sugar – Brown sugar and granulated sugar are used.
- Baking Soda
- Butter – The butter is used in the crust of the bars, I would not use a substitute for the butter.
- Cream Cheese – I always use regular cream cheese. but low fat may work. But I would not recommend a cream cheese spread.
- Cinnamon – I love the cinnamon in this recipe, so that is what I would suggest that you use.
- Pecans – If you prefer you can use walnuts in the topping. I have used pecans and walnuts in this recipe and they both work well.
Tips for best results:
- Use pears that are ripe. When using pears that are too hard they don’t bake as well and they stay somewhat crunchy even after they are baked. When using a Bosc pear make sure the skin is more brown than green and they are slightly soft but firm, not hard.
- The butter is easier to work with if it is at room temperature when mixing the crust.
- The cream cheese and the egg should be at room temperature.
- The bars are done when the oats are slightly brown and when a wooden pick is inserted in the center of the bars and it comes out clean.
- Store bars in the refrigerator for best results
Steps for making Pear Cream Cheese Crumble Bars:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, oats, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and with a fork cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
Reserve 1 cup of the crust mixture for the topping of the bars. Add the rest of the crust ingredients into the prepared pans and press into the bottom of the pan. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
While the crust is baking prepare the cream cheese filling. Once the cream cheese filling is completed prepare the pears, peel and chop into small pieces. Then in a small bowl combine the pears along with one tablespoon of flour, two tablespoons of sugar, and cinnamon and toss together.
Remove the crust from the oven after it has baked for 10 minutes. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the baked crust. Top with the pear mixture. Finally, combine the reserved crust with the pecans and crumble over the top of the pear mixture.
Place the bars back into the oven and bake for an additional 30 to 32 minutes. Once the bars are baked remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack to cool.
Check out these other easy bar recipes:
- Carrot Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Cake Brownies
- Easy Pumpkin Bars
Pear Cream Cheese Crumble Bars
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup old fashion oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- Cream cheese filling-
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pear filling-
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pears your favorite
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the topping-
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans added to the reserved crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, oats, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, soda, and salt. Add the butter and with a fork mix until the mixture is crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup of the mixture for the topping.
- Add the rest of the crust ingredients into the prepared pan and press into the bottom of the pan.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking prepare the cream cheese filling Add the cream cheese and beat , add the sugar, and beat in. Add the egg and vanilla and beat in.
- While the crust is baking prepare the pear. Combine the chopped pears with the 1 tablespoon flour, 2 tablespoon sugar, and cinnamon.
- Remove the pan from the oven with the crust after it is done baking 10 minutes. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the crust. Top with the pear mixture. Combine the reserved crust with the chopped pecans and crumble over the top of the pear mixture.
- Place the bars back into the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack. Cut into bars and serve.
- Use pears that are ripe.
- Use cream cheese and an egg that room temperature
- Store the bars in the refrigerator after they are baked.
This recipe was originally published on September 30, 2016. It has been updated with new content and pictures on November 7, 2019.