Easy chicken orzo salad is a meal all by itself includes fresh herbs from the garden.
Easy chicken orzo salad is chock-full of flavor. There is no mayonnaise in this salad. Red wine vinegar and olive oil make the perfect base for the salad.
Happy summer!! It is officially summer. Can you believe it? Our garden is in and it’s growing. And the rabbits and deer haven’t eaten too much of it to this day. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will actually have some green beans to eat this year.
The last couple of years the rabbits were out in full force. We actually didn’t even have leaves on our green beans, it was just the stalks. So sad!
It’s funny that it even happened, we have been living in our house for just about 20 years and the last two years were the only years that the rabbits decided to feast on all the goodies in the garden. Oh well, maybe we will get lucky this year.
During the summer months, I like to pack a lighter lunch for my work day. During the winter it is usually a hearty bowl of soup. I usually pack some sort of lettuce salad, but every once in a while I like to throw in a tasty pasta salad.
I am excited about this salad because I used fresh herbs from my garden. Yes, there is basil, oregano, and parsley in the dressings for this salad along with garlic. These ingredients make the best tasting dressing.
I added some cucumber, celery, and green pepper for some crunch. There is some green onion for additional flavor. Needless to say that I have been excited to have lunch roll around just to enjoy some of this easy chicken orzo salad, it is so delicious.
If you are looking for more salad ideas check these out:
Easy Chicken Orzo Salad
- 2 Chicken breast roasted/cooked cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the orzo according to the directions on the box. Cut the roasted/cooked chicken into bite size pieces.
- Prepare the cucumber, green onions, green pepper, and celery. When completed put them in a medium bowl.
- Prepare the dressing in a small food processor. Add the garlic, basil, oregano, and parsley. Pulse until the garlic and herbs are finely chopped.
- Add the vinegar and Dijon mustard. Pulse until combined. Slowly add the olive oil. Mix until well blended.
- Add the chicken and orzo to the bowl with the vegetables. Toss until well combined. Add the dressing and toss until all is coated. Chill before serving.
- It works well to chop the garlic and herbs before processing them in the food processor.
- This salad is quite garlicky, so reduce garlic if you want a less garlic flavor.