Easy chicken orzo salad is full of fresh vegetables, chicken, orzo pasta, and an oil and vinegar dressing. Serve it with fresh fruit for a light meal.
This salad is chock-full of flavor. There is no mayonnaise in this salad. Instead, the red wine vinegar and olive oil make the perfect base for the salad. I like to use fresh herbs when I have them handy, but you can always use dried herbs if you like.
I added some cucumber, celery, and green pepper for some crunch. There is some green onion for additional flavor. I like to serve it for lunch or for dinner with a side of fresh fruit. Once the orzo and the chicken are cooked, this salad comes together quickly.
- If you don’t have orzo pasta on hand you can substitute it with macaroni noodles, couscous, or quinoa just to name a few.
- When cooking the pasta don’t overcook. Follow the cooking directions on the box.
- Cool the pasta completely before adding the other ingredients.
- I used cooked chicken for this recipe, but you could use roasted or rotisserie chicken.
- I love the green peppers in this recipe, but you could use red peppers for a little change in flavor and a pop of color.
- Once the salad is assembled make sure to refrigerate it for at least an hour to chill and meld the flavors.
- The salad can be made the day before you are going to serve it.
- Before serving the salad make sure to give it a stir.
- The salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Steps for making Easy Chicken Orzo Salad
Prepare the pasta. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
Chop the vegetables and set them aside.
Prepare the dressing for the salad.
Add the chicken, orzo, and vegetable and mix until combined. Add the dressing and toss until all is coated.
If you are looking for additional easy salads to make check out the recipes:
- Cheese Tortellini Italian Pasta Salad
- Quinoa Chicken Salad
- Easy Tuna Macaroni Salad
- Easy Italian Chopped Salad
If you make this easy chicken orzo salad I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Easy Chicken Orzo Salad
- 2 cooked chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the orzo according to the directions on the box. Cut the roasted/cooked chicken into bite size pieces.
- Prepare the cucumber, green onions, green pepper, and celery. When completed put them in a medium bowl.
- Prepare the dressing in a small food processor. Add the garlic, basil, oregano, and parsley. Pulse until the garlic and herbs are finely chopped.
- Add the vinegar and Dijon mustard. Pulse until combined. Slowly add the olive oil. Mix until well blended.
- Add the chicken and orzo to the bowl with the vegetables. Toss until well combined. Add the dressing and toss until all is coated. Chill before serving.
- It works well to chop the garlic and herbs before processing them in the food processor.
- Make sure not to overcook the pasta. Follow the directions that are on the box.
- The salad is best if you chill before serving it. If you like the salad can be made one day in advance.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
This recipe was originally published on June 22, 2017. It has been updated with new content and pictures on July 21, 2022.