Taco Chicken Strips flavored by a handful of seasonings, make a tasty weeknight dinner. Young and old will love these chicken strips
Chicken is one of our favorite meals that we make at our house. There are so many ways to make chicken, this one is a simple one and the chicken turns out juicy and tender in the inside and has a nice crunchy coating on the outside.
The taco flavoring is a nice twist on this chicken. I love to serve them with salsa along with a bit of fresh lime juice, but they are tasty just the way they are.
- I like to use chicken tenders for this recipe. If you can’t find them at your grocery store you can make them yourself. Take a skinless boneless chicken breast and cut them lengthwise about 1/2 inch thick. Super easy to do.
- Set a working station for coating your chicken. First, you will have a container for flour, the second will have the egg wash, and the third will have the breadcrumbs and taco seasoning. It will make it easier when you are working to coat the chicken.
- I like using plain bread crumbs for this recipe, but you can use panko if you prefer.
- These chicken tenders are fried with just a small amount of oil in the skillet. I add more as needed. you will be surprised to see how crisp the coating gets using this method.
- Store any leftover in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- To reheat, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and heat to the desired temperature.
Steps for making Taco Chicken Strips
Set up your work station for coating the chicken strips. For the first one, you will want just flour. The second one you will combine the eggs with the water. The third one will combine the seasoning and bread crumbs.
Coat the chicken with the flour, then the egg, and finally the seasoned bread crumbs.
Add enough oil to a skillet to coat the bottom of the skillet well. Place the breaded chicken strips in the skillet and fry 2 to 3 minutes on each side (time may vary depending on the size of the strips) or until the chicken is no longer pink and nicely browned.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on paper towels to remove any excess oil
Serve with salsa or your favorite dipping sauce.
Here are some more easy chicken recipes:
- Potato Chip Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Wrap with Savory Cream Cheese Spread
- Simple Broiled Chicken Tenders
Stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Taco Chicken Strips
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Cut chicken into strips and set aside.
- In a bowl add the flour. In another bowl beat the egg with the water. Set up a work station for the flour, then egg, and then the bread crumb mixture.
- Combine all of the seasonings in a bowl large enough that you can roll your chicken strips in. After the seasonings are mixed together add the bread crumbs and combine until well mixed.
- First, roll the chicken strip in the flour, then dip it in the egg mixture, and then into the bread crumbs, coating the strips evenly with the crumbs.
- Heat enough oil to coat plus a little extra in a skillet.
- Place the chicken strips in the heated skillet and fry until brown on one side, flip and fry on the other side until brown. It will depend on how large your strips are for cooking time, but cook until meat is no longer pink. Do this in batches
- If you can't find chicken strips buy skinless boneless and cut the chicken breast the long way into about 1/2 thick pieces to make you own chicken strips.
- Set up a working station for breading the chicken strips. Have containers that are large enough to dredge the chicken strips.
- Use enough vegetable oil to coat the pan well for cooking the chicken. Add more oil as needed.
- When frying the chicken strips work in batches making sure not to overcrowd the skillet.
This recipe was originally published on April 22, 2015. It has been updated with new content and pictures on August 24, 2020.
Such a fun way to mix up the flavors in the chicken cutlet! It’s a classic for a reason. 🙂
This is such a great idea Dawn…all the flavors of taco in these chicken strips…
Have a great rest of week 🙂
Crisp yet tender…and I love taco flavour!
I love this flavor! Thank you so much for your great idea!
We eat a lot of chicken here and I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it, this looks delicious! Take care
John / Kitchen Riffs
Love taco-flavored anything. These chicken strips look fantastic. Neat recipe — thanks.
This is such a tasty idea! We are big chicken fans too 🙂
David @ Spiced
What a fun idea to use taco seasonings to spice up a breaded chicken breast! This looks delicious…a great healthy alternative when you’re craving tacos for dinner!
These look just FANTASTIC Dawn. I just love all of the spices and I love the crunch that you get from the bread crumb
Amy (Savory Moments)
This is such a fun idea and it would be a big hit with my kids! Sounds really yummy to flavor chicken this way.
This is wonderful. And you’re right – young and old will love these! Great seasoning.
Wow, it’s that simple, but very, very delicious! Thanks!