This vegetable chicken barley soup is a hearty soup that will warm you up on these cold winter days.
Can you believe it? The holidays are over. I really wonder where does the time go to. It seems like a minute ago I was jumping for joy because I had a whole week off from work. Now I am back to work, with no break on the horizon. Oh well, I guess that is life.
Since I am back to work, I am back to making a kettle of soup for the work week. I really needed to get back to making soup after all that I ate over the holidays. It is nice to have something that is healthier than all the candies and cookies that I have been eating. Why is it every year I tell myself that I will eat cookies and candies in moderation then the holidays come around and I overeat on all the goodies? I really need to work on my willpower.
Enough with overeating and willpower, let’s get on with this soup recipe.
This is the time of year in Minnesota when I really need to have a hot bowl of soup for lunch. I have a tendency to be cold while sitting at my desk working and I look forward to a something that will warm me up at lunch time.
I like something that is hearty too, something that will get me through the second half of the day. The barley in this soup will get the job done; it will fill you up and keep you going.
Oh, and yeah this soup is really easy to make. You can use chicken broth that you buy at the store or you can make it yourself. If you are buying the broth, I would recommend that you buy the low sodium type. I used fresh onions, celery, and carrots, but used canned tomatoes, the corn and peas were frozen ones. It really didn’t take too much time and the soup was ready to eat.
The nice thing about this soup or really any soup if you don’t like a vegetable in the recipe you can omit it and add something that you do enjoy. I go with the vegetables that I have in the refrigerator or the pantry. It is nice to add to the flavor with herbs. If you don’t have fresh herbs don’t worry you can use dried ones.
Really, you can’t have a better lunch than a bowl of hot soup. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- In a large Dutch oven heat the oil and saute onions, celery, and carrots for about 10 minutes or until they are starting to get tender; stirring occasionally.
- When you are finished with sauteing the vegetables add the broth, cooked chicken, canned tomatoes, barley, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, once it starts to boil turn down to medium-low and simmer for about 1 hour or until the barley and vegetables are tender. Add the frozen peas and corn, cook an addition 5 to 10 minutes. Serve