Caramelized onion & mushroom pizza easy and delicious, great for a meatless meal.
I love homemade pizza, it’s so much better than anything you can buy. Fresh hot pizza out of the oven and that smell oh yeah that smell is the best.
Normally I love having some kind of meat topping on my pizza. Italian sausage comes to mind right away, but every once in a while it is nice to change things up.
I have made this caramelized onion and mushrooms pizza a few times now. The second time I made it my oldest daughter was at the house for dinner.
She does not eat onion, really not ever. So when she reached for a piece and then a second piece I knew that I was on to something good going on.
I love making bread, so I made the pizza crust, but if bread making is not your thing you can buy the pizza crust from the store. The onions and mushrooms are fried in olive oil until they are golden brown along with some garlic.
You won’t find any sauce on this pizza; the crust is brushed with olive oil. Mozzarella cheese is placed on top of the olive oil. If would like to try another cheese with this go ahead. I usually have mozzarella in house, so that is my go-to cheese when I am making pizza.
After all this yes, the caramelized onions and mushrooms make their way on the pizza. Top with additional cheese if you like and some Italian seasoning.
Bake the pizza until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and gooey.
I made these into two 7-inch pizzas, but you can make just one big one if you like.
I am pretty sure there won’t be any left over.
Here is another recipe you may like Grilled cheese with beer caramelized onions and mushrooms
- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoon yeast
- 2 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion Thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms Thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- olive oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning to taste
- In a medium bowl mix one cup of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt mix together. Add the water and olive oil. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Let dough rest for 5 minutes before forming into the crust.
- Form crust into two 7-inch pizza on a pizza pan that has been lightly greased.
Caramelized onions and mushrooms
- In a skillet add enough olive oil to coat the pan lightly and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until they start to soften about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the mushroom and garlic and continue to the onions and to saute for another 13 to 15 minutes.
Making the pizza
- Pat out pizza crust on greased pizza pan
- Brush pizza crust with olive oil
- Divide the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle the cheese over the olive oil, saving some for the top
- Top the cheese with your caramelized onions and mushrooms
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top of the onion and mushrooms
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning over top of pizza
- Bake 15 minutes in a 425 F degree preheated oven.
I will be making this caramelized onion & mushroom pizza again soon. How about you?