Chicken Taco Pizza, all the great flavors of a chicken taco, rolled up into pizza. You can serve it for Taco Tuesday night or it is great for Friday pizza night.
I have been making homemade pizza since I was a teenager. When we started making pizza when I was a teenager we started with a box mix, eventually we got to the point where we made our own crust and sauce.
You can never go wrong with pizza made at home. This recipe is no exception, it’s super easy to make and so delicious. This chicken taco pizza is a family favorite.
- You can use your homemade pizza dough (It is simple to make) or you can use store-bought pizza dough. You will need about 1 pound of the dough.
- Make your own taco seasoning for the chicken. It is super simple to make and taste better than the stuff that you get in the packets (and you know what is in it).
- I like using chicken breast for this recipe, but if you prefer you can use chicken thighs.
- Cook the chicken before adding it to the pizza. The chicken is cut into bite-size pieces and tossed with the taco seasoning and then fried in olive oil just until no longer pink.
- We like cheddar cheese on this recipe, but you can mix the cheese up to your liking. Some suggestions would be Monterey Jack, Queso Quesadilla, Colby Jack or you can buy a shredded blended taco or Mexican cheeses.
- For this pizza, I top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and tortilla chips. Some additional toppings would be black olives, chopped onion, sour cream, and taco sauce to name just some that you may enjoy.
- If there happen to be any leftovers they should be stored in the refrigerator. You can reheat the pizza using the microwave for a quick heat up or bake in an oven set at 350 and heat until the desired temperature.
Steps for making Chicken Taco Pizza
If you are making homemade pizza dough, make the dough. (I will include my recipe on the recipe card).
Make the taco seasoning. Mix chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper, and salt together and set aside.
Cut the chicken breast into bite-size pieces. Add the taco seasoning and mix until the chicken is well coated.
In a large skillet add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat. Add the chicken and cook the chicken until it is no longer pink.
While the chicken is cooking get the refried beans and salsa mixed together. This will be used in place of a sauce.
When the pizza dough is ready, pat it into a greased 10 1/2 by 15 1/2-inch pan. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spread the refried beans and salsa mixture over top of the crust. Sprinkle the prepared chicken over top of the refried beans mixture. Top with 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
Place the pizza in the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is lightly browned.
While the pizza is baking prepare the toppings for the pizza. Shred the lettuce, chop the tomatoes and crush the tortilla chips.
When the pizza is baked remove from the oven. Top with the shredded lettuce, sprinkle the chopped tomatoes over top of the lettuce, next top with the one cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and then top with the crushed tortilla chips. Add any additional toppings that you desire. Serve.
Here are some additional pizza recipes:
Chicken Taco Pizza
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 2 3/4 -3 cups flour
- 1 package yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 3 cups shredded lettuce I use iceberg lettuce
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup tortilla chips crushed
- sour cream optional
Homemade Pizza Dough
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup of flour, sugar, and salt. Add the water and the olive oil and mix it in.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Let the dough rest while you prepare the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Combine the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper, and salt. Add to the chicken and mix well.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink about 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the refried beans and salsa together and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pat the dough into a greased 10 1/2 by 15 1/2-inch pan.
- Spread the refried beans and salsa mixture over top of the crust.
- Top with the cooked chicken. Sprinkle 2 cups of the cheddar cheese over top of the chicken.
- Place the pizza into the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is lightly browned.
- Once the pizza is baked remove from the oven and top with the shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips, and the remaining one cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add additional toppings if desired.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Make your own taco seasoning, it is super simple to make, or if you prefer you can buy a packet of taco seasoning.
- Make your own crust or use store-bought pizza dough. You will need 1 pound of dough.
- Cheddar cheese is great on this pizza, but you use Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or your favorite Mexican cheese.
- For leftover pizza store in the refrigerator.