Three Bean Chicken Soup a lightly Southwest flavored soup made with chicken and three different beans. Perfect comfort food for the winter weather.
Soup is one of my favorite comfort foods during the winter months. The chicken and the beans make this not only a hearty soup but a healthy meal too. I like to serve it with a few crackers, and a little fruit, and you are set.
There is some cumin in the soup to give it a little Southwest flavor, but it does not overwhelm the soup. Overall this is one of my favorite soups.
Did you know that beans are good for you?
Here are a few reasons to make this soup besides the fact that it tastes great. Beans are a great source of fiber. One thing that people don’t normally get enough of. They have protein, help ward off heart disease, offer vitamins, and the list goes on.
- Buy cans of beans. Although you can buy dried beans if you prefer. Just remember that will it take longer to cook the beans. And, you should soak them overnight.
- Before adding the beans to the soup make sure that you rinse each kind of bean thoroughly to remove the liquid that they come in.
- Saute the onion and the garlic before adding the rest of the ingredients. Doing this first will give the soup more flavor.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- To reheat the soup simply heat in the microwave or add soup to a saucepan and heat on the stove until the desired temperature.
Steps for making Three Bean Chicken Soup
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until the vegetables are tender
Once the onion and garlic are tender add the beans, diced tomatoes, frozen corn, chilies, and cooked chicken and stir in.
Add the chicken broth and seasoning. Continue to cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
Reduce heat and continue to simmer for another 30 to 45 minutes to blend flavors. Serve.
Check out these additional soup recipes:
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup
- Black Bean and Ham Bone Soup
Three Bean Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 14.5 ounces black beans rinsed
- 14.5 ounces kidney beans rinsed
- 14.5 ounces white beans rinsed
- 4 ounces green chilies
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 42 ounces sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Once the onion and garlic are tender, add the beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chilies, and chicken, stir together.
- Stir in the broth and seasonings.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes to blend the flavors.
- To make this recipe as simple as possible use canned beans.
- For the white beans, you can use Great Northern Beans, Cannellini Beans, or Navy Beans.
- Make sure to rinse the beans before adding them to the soup.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- The soup can be frozen.
This recipe was originally published on July 30, 2011. It has been updated with new content and pictures on November 30, 2020.