Spicy Topping Coffee Cake a simple to make coffee cake that is moist and topped with a crumb topping and then drizzled with a vanilla icing. Who couldn’t go for a piece of coffee cake in the morning or whenever?
I have been making this coffee cake or a version of this recipe for so many years I have lost count. When my kids were small I would sometimes make this recipe every Sunday for weeks. The family never seems to get tired of it.
And, to tell the truth, I never got tired of making it. I love how simple it is to make and how fast it comes together. It takes under an hour from start to finish which is a plus when life is so busy.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- You will want your ingredients at room temperature when making this recipe.
- Do not over mix the batter. Over mixing can result in a dense chewy cake
- If you prefer to use butter instead of the oil that is fine. Melt the butter before adding.
- This recipe includes vanilla icing. I have made the coffee cake with and without the icing. If you prefer you can omit it.
- To check the cake for doneness I recommend using a toothpick and inserting int the middle of the cake if it comes out with a clean or with a few moist crumbs it is done.
- Don’t over bake the cake. Check the cake at least 5 minutes before the baking time is up.
- The cake freezes well.
Steps for making this Spicy Topping Coffee Cake:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease the sides and the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
In a medium mixing bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl combine the oil, egg, and milk. Pour the liquid into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir just until well combined.
Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan and set aside.
Combine the ingredients for the spicy topping and mix together with a fork.
Sprinkle the topping over the coffee cake. Gently press the topping into the cake.
Bake in the preheated oven for 23 to 25 minutes or test with a toothpick when inserted into the middle of the cake and it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs the cake is done.
Remove the cake and cool completely on a cooling rack.
Prepare the vanilla icing. combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, and enough cream until the right consistency. Drizzle over top of the cake.
Check out more delicious recipes for breakfast/brunch:
Spicy Topping Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Spicy topping -
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- Vanilla icing-
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 3 - 4 tablespoons cream
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl combine the oil, egg, and milk. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Combine the ingredients for the spicy topping and mix together with a fork.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch cake pan. Spread the coffee cake batter on the bottom of the cake pan. Sprinkle the spicy topping over the batter. Sprinkle the spicy topping over the batter. Gently press the topping into the cake.
- Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 375 degrees F for 23 to 25 minutes.
- Once the coffee cake is cooled mix up the icing and drizzle over top of coffee cake.
- Don't overmix the cake. Overmix can cause the cake to chewy.
- All the ingredients should be room temperature.
- If you prefer you can switch out the oil for melted butter.
- This coffee freezes well.
This recipe was originally published on March 23, 2015. It has been updated with new content and pictures on February 6, 2020.