Chicken Fried Rice is one of my all-time favorites when we go out to have Chinese food. It’s total comfort food for me.
I really don’t make fried rice enough at home, but when I do this simple recipe is one that Mike and I both really enjoy. It’s a little different than the ones you may see around the web, but it works well for me.
One of the reasons I love this recipe for chicken fried rice is that you don’t have to cook the rice ahead of time. You brown it in a skillet and when it is browned you add chicken broth and let it cook away until the rice is tender. Super simple.
And fewer dishes are always a plus.
This is a dish that you can make during the weekend or during the week, it is ready in about an hour.
- The best type of rice to use for fried rice is long-grain rice. I like to use plain white rice. Also, Jasmine rice works well.
- There are several different oils that you can use when making fried rice. My favorite oil to use is sesame seed oil. I enjoy the flavor that it gives to this dish. But if you don’t have sesame seed oil you can use vegetable oil, canola oil, or peanut oil all will work.
- Use the vegetables that you have on hand or like in fried rice. I sometime will buy a bag of frozen stir-fried vegetables and add them to this recipe.
- Taste your fried rice as you add the soy sauce. Remember add to much soy sauce you can’t remove it. I like to put the soy sauce on the table when serving fried rice, so people can add extra if they like.
Do you need a wok to make fried rice?
No, don’t worry if you don’t have a wok. You can still make fried rice using a skillet or a cast-iron skillet. For this recipe, I used a cast-iron skillet and it worked great.
Steps for making this Chicken Fried Rice:
Combine the chicken and the soy sauce and let stand for 10 minutes while you fry the rice.
Add the sesame seed oil to the skillet and rice over medium heat and cook until the rice turns a light brown. Make sure to stir frequently so the rice doesn’t burn. Add garlic about a minute before the rice is done.
Stir in the chicken and soy sauce. Stir in the broth.
Cover and cook the rice for 20 to 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Remove the cover and stir the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add two eggs to a small bowl and whisk.
Push the rice mixture to the sides of the pan to make a well. Add the scrambled eggs. Cook the eggs until just about set and mix into the rice mixture.
Add additional soy sauce if desired.
Looking for additional easy meal recipes? Check these out:
Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce divided
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen mixed peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 2 large eggs
- Combine the chicken and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and combine. Set aside while you fry the rice.
- Add the sesame seed oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the rice and cook until it turns light brown stirring frequently so it doesn't burn. Add the garlic at the end when the rice is starting to turn brown and cook for a 1/2 minute or so.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add the chicken and stir it in.
- Stir in the broth and cover. Simmer the rice for 20 to 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Remove the cover and add the mixed peas and carrots and green onions. Stir in and continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes and the liquid is absorbed.
- In a small bowl add to eggs and whisk.
- Push the rice mixture to the sides of the skillet to make a well. Add the scrambled eggs
- Cook the eggs stirring them until they are about set, then blend the eggs into the rice.
- Add the remaining soy sauce or to taste.
- Use long-grain rice, for the best results.
- Sesame seed oil gives great flavor to the rice, but you can use vegetable oil, peanut oil, or canola oil.
- Don't worry if you don't have a wok, use a skillet or a cast-iron skillet for delicious results.
- Taste before adding additional soy sauce.
- Serve soy sauce with the fried rice, so people can add additional if they desire.