This Hot Pastrami Sandwich is made with deli pastrami, swiss cheese, garlic aioli, and rye bread. This sandwich is simple to make and is perfect for when you want something quick.
The combination of the pastrami, Swiss cheese, rye bread, and garlic aioli make this sandwich better than anything you can buy in a restaurant.
I love the flavors of this sandwich. The pastrami, Swiss cheese, and garlic aioli on this sandwich can’t be beaten. No need to go to the restaurant when you can make a delicious sandwich at home, for a lot less.
- Don’t forget the aioli for this recipe it really makes the sandwich.
- The garlic for the aioli should be finely minced or crushed. You don’t want to bite into a large piece of garlic.
- The aioli can be made ahead of time. Make sure to store in the refrigerator if doing so.
- Buy good quality pastrami. It will make for a better sandwich.
- Heating the pastrami before adding it to the sandwich will help with the grilling time of the sandwich. It will also help with the melting of the cheese.
- If you are only making one sandwich and making the other one at a later time, I would recommend that you store the ingredients separately in the refrigerator.
Ingredients you will need:
- Dijon mustard
- Mayo – use a good quality mayo for the best flavor.
- Garlic – you will want to mince or crush the garlic.
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed lemon juice works the best, but you can use bottled if that is what you have.
- Olive oil – I like to use extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper – Add to taste or this can be omitted if you prefer.
- Pastrami – Use a good quality deli pastrami.
- Swiss cheese – I like to buy the presliced cheese because it is thin and ready to use.
- Bread – Your favorite rye or pumpernickel bread will work. I used rye pumpernickel bread for this recipe.
Steps for making the hot pastrami sandwich
Make the aioli, add all of the ingredients for the aioli into a medium-sized bowl and whisk, beating until well combined. Set aside.
Butter the one side of the two slices of bread and set aside. Take the other two slices and spread one side with the aioli.
Place two slices of Swiss cheese on top of the aioli. On the top of the Swiss cheese divide the pastrami between the two sandwiches.
Add two more slices of Swiss cheese on top of the pastrami. On the slices of bread that have the butter on one side spread the aioli on the other side. Place the butter side down into a skillet. Then butter the top side also.
Grill both sides of the sandwiches until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Slice the sandwiches in half and serve.
Check out these other easy meal recipes:
If you make this Hot Pastrami Sandwich, I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Hot Pastrami Sandwich
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound deli pastrami
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Add the ingredients to a medium bowl.
- With a whisk beat until well combined.
- Heat the pastrami in the microwave unitl warm.
- Take a slice of bread and spread with butter, set aside. (If making 2 sandwiches butter 2 slices of bread).
- Take another slice of bread and spread it with 1/4 of the garlic aioli.
- Place 2 slices of Swiss cheese on top of the aioli.
- Take half of the warm pastrami and add it to the sandwich.
- Take another 2 slices of Swiss cheese and place on top of the pastrami.
- Take the bread that has butter on one side, and spread the garlic aioli on the other side. Place that slice of bread with the buttered side on top of the sandwich, with the buttered side on the outside.
- Put the buttered side of the sandwich down in a skillet. Butter the side that is facing up.
- Over medium heat grill the sandwich for 4 to 5 minutes or until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted. Flip and continue to grill the other side for another 4 to 5 minutes until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
- Heat the pastrami before adding it to the sandwich. It will help with the process of making the sandwich.
- Use good quality pastrami for the sandwich.
- The aioli can be made ahead of time. Keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
- If making only one sandwich, store the ingredients in individual separate containers in the refrigerator.
This recipe was originally published on July 2, 2013. It has been updated with new content and pictures on October 12, 2023.