I had mentioned in a previous post that we had gone to a family reunion a while back ago. The family reunion was a few hours away and every family was asked to bring a dish to pass. I wanted to make something that was simple and easy to bring along. Mike loves coleslaw and wanted to bring that along. I went one step further and made a recipe called Claremont salad. It is very similar to coleslaw, but with a couple of additions. It has cucumbers and onions along with the cabbage and the carrots.
I have actually made this for other occasions such as graduations and holidays or just for everyday meals. What I like about this is so simple to make, it is made the day before, and it keeps very well. The cucumbers and the onions stay nice and crisp in the vinaigrette that they marinate in. The vinaigrette is one this is nice and tangy, which make this salad completely yummy!
Claremont Salad (As found on allreipes).com)
1 medium head cabbage, shredded
2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
3 carrots shredded
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons water
3 teaspoon salt
1. Combine the cabbage, cucumber, carrots, and onion in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, oil, water, and salt. Pour over the cabbage mixture, toss to coat and refrigerate for at least 12 hours. Drain excess liquid before serving. Enjoy!
One last thing, Emma at Food, Fork & Good nominated me for the one lovely blog award a couple of weeks ago. I am sorry it has taken me so long to post this. Emma's blog has great recipes and wonderful pictures to go along with her recipes.
Here are the rules for the award:
1. Link back to whoever nominated you.
2. Write 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Nominate 11 bloggers.
11 random facts about myself:
1. I love to eat fish. I could eat everyday of the week.
2. I work as an office manager.
3. I love the country. I love the peacefulness of living in the country.
4. I like to canoe
5. My favorite thing to bake is bread
6. My husband and I share the same birthday, but I am a year older than him.
7. I have a great husband and will be married 31 years this next month.
8. I love watching romantic comedy movies.
9 I love to read.
10. My daughter Krista will be moving to Chicago next month, I am going to be missing her.
11. My son Jon just got engaged to his girl friend Brianna and will be getting married next year in October. I will be getting a great daughter-in-law.
I think that this award should go to all the great blogs out there. There are so many too pick from, it really is too hard to do so. I want to thank Emma from Food, Fork & Good.