Claremont Salad is a simple side dish with crunchy vegetables and a sweet tangy dressing, that is a great addition to almost any meal. Made with cabbage, cucumber, carrots, onion, and green pepper for a side dish that your family will love.
This salad is perfect year-round, but I love making it for the summer months. The oil and vinegar dressing is nice for a cookout or taking to a potluck. No worries about heavy mayo dressing that may go bad in the heat.
The dressing is made with white distilled vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar, and salt, which gives this salad a sweet and tangy delicious flavor.
It is a good thing to make in advance of the meal that you want to serve it with or even the day before. The veggies stay nice and crisp and making it the day before helps the flavors to meld.
- In a hurry buy a bag of shredded cabbage from the store. If you buy a whole cabbage, I like to use a food processor for this recipe. The cabbage is fresh and crisp.
- Do you need to peel the cucumber? Personally, I like to leave the peel on the cucumber, but if you prefer you can peel it.
- Make the salad the day before you serve it to meld the flavors.
- So do not worry if the salad gets more liquid as time goes on, that is natural. I usually use a slotted spoon to remove some of the liquid when serving. Or you could even drain some of the liquid if there gets to be too much.
- This can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. I have kept it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and the cabbage and the cucumbers stay nice and crunchy.
Steps for making Claremont Salad
Combine the cabbage, cucumber, carrots, green peppers, and onions in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine together the vinegar, sugar, oil, and salt and whisk until well blended.
Pour the liquid mixture over the cabbage mixture and mix until well blended. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving. You can drain the excess liquid before serving if needed.
Here are additional salad recipes you may like:
If you make this Claremont Salad I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
- 1 medium cabbage shredded
- 1 large cucumber thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper chopped
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Combine the cabbage, cucumber, carrots, green pepper, and onion in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, oil, and salt and whisk well.
- Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss until well blended. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Drain some of the excess liquid if needed.
- To make the recipe faster you can buy shredded cabbage from the store. If you are using a head of cabbage, use a food processor.
- You don’t have to peel the cucumber if you do not want to. I like leaving the peel on.
- If you like you can use an English cucumber in the salad instead of a regular one.
- There will be a lot of liquid that will form after you make the salad, you can drain some off if you like, but it does not hurt the salad to leave it in.
- The salad can be store in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
This recipe was originally published on July 18, 2012. It has been updated with new content and pictures on August 17, 2021.