Sweet Potato Pie Bars are a sweet dessert bar flavored with fall spices and topped with sweet marshmallows. It is the perfect dessert to serve on Thanksgiving Day, but you will love it whenever you serve it.
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, you may be looking for a new dessert to serve this year. One of my favorite desserts for Thanksgiving is always pumpkin pie, not only is it delicious, but it is a tradition. But, maybe this year it is time to break the tradition and try something new.
Not only do these sweet potato pie bars have a marshmallow topping, but it also has a ginger snap crust. The gingersnap brings a great spicy taste to the bars. All of the ingredients come together to make this one great dessert.
The benefits of eating sweet potatoes:
- They are a great source of fiber.
- They are a great source for vitamin A
- Also, they are a great source for vitamin C
- Natural anti-inflammatory compounds are found in sweet potatoes.
Ingredients that you will need to make these sweet potato pie bars:
- Ginger snap cookies: Make into crumbs for the crust.
- Pecans: Are chopped finely and added to the crust
- Butter: Melt the butter so it mixes well with the other ingredients.
- Sweet potatoes: I use sweet potatoes that I bake. But canned or frozen sweet potatoes can be used.
- Cream: Heavy whipping cream is recommended.
- Eggs: The eggs should be at room temperature.
- Brown sugar: Is used in the crust and the filling.
- Granulated sugar: Is used in the filling.
- Spices: I like the combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Marshmallows: Are used for the topping once the bars are baked. Use the broiler to brown them.
What if you don’t have sweet potatoes or you don’t like sweet potatoes. Can pumpkin be used as a substitute?
Yes, just substitute the 2 cups of sweet potatoes with 2 cups of pumpkin.
Do the bars need to be refrigerated?
For best results cover the bars and store them in the refrigerator. The bars are best when first made.
Tips to help you with the recipe:
- Use a food processor for making the ginger snap crumbs. You will want the cookies to be finely crushed.
- Also, use the food processor for the pecan. You will want them also finely chopped.
- Bake the sweet potatoes ahead of time and let them cool thoroughly before pureeing them.
- If not sure if the bars are baked enough use a knife and insert it into the center of the bars if it comes out clean they are done.
- Brown the marshmallow under the broiler, so that they brown quickly. If they are baked they will become too puffy and when they cool they will harden a bit.
Steps for making sweet potatoes pie bars:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the bottom of the baking pan.
Make the ginger snap crust. Using a food processor to make the cookies into crumbs. Also, you will use the food processor to process the pecan into crumbs. Mix the cookie crumbs, pecans, brown sugar, and melted butter and mix well. Press into the prepared 9 by 9-inch pan.
Prepare the filling. Combine the sweet potato puree, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and spices mix well. Add the cream and eggs and mix until combined. Spread the filling over the crust and bake 45 to 50 minutes or the center is set.
Once the bars are done baking remove from the oven and turn the oven to broil. Top with the marshmallows and put under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes. Watch carefully so that the marshmallows don’t burn.
Check out these other fall treats:
Sweet Potato Pie Bars
- 1 1/2 cups ginger snap crumbs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecan crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sweet potato puree
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 9-inch pan
- In a food processor process, ginger snaps cookies into fine crumbs. Use the processor for the pecans as well, to make fine crumbs.
- Combine the ginger snaps cookie crumbs, finely chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and butter. Pat into the prepared pan and set aside
- In a large bowl combine the sweet potato puree, sugars, salt, and spices with an electric mixer mix until well blended.
- Add the cream and egg and mix together. Spread the filling over the crust.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the filling is firm.
- Remove from the oven. Turn the oven to broil. Top the bars with the mini marshmallows and place back into the oven for 1 to 2 minutes or until the marshmallows are browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- Use a food process the ginger snap cookies and pecans into crumbs
- Insert a knife to see is the bars are baked enough, if the knife comes out clean they are ready to take out of the oven.
- Store in the refrigerator.