Slow Cooker Refried Beans, a super easy recipe to make and the refried beans turn out perfect. This is the perfect recipe, just throw the beans, pepper, onion, and cumin into a slow cooker and walk away.
One of my favorite things at a Mexican restaurant is the refried beans that are usually served with the meal. I really can’t get enough of them. Little did I know how simple they are to make at home. If I would have known I would have started years ago.
Are pinto beans healthy for you?
Yes, they’re a great source of fiber, iron, magnesium, thiamin, vitamin B-6, antioxidants, lean protein, and they control appetite
What kind of beans are used for refried beans?
Pinto beans are the most common bean used when it comes to refried beans. But you can use black beans, chili beans, kidney beans and some beans that aren’t as commonly known as the first one that I have mentioned rattlesnake beans and cranberry beans.
Are refried bean actually fried?
With some recipes yes, the beans are cooked until soft, then mashed, then fried in lard or baked. In this recipe, the refried beans are not fried or baked after they are mashed making them a healthier recipe.
Ingredients used in slow cooker refried beans:
- Pinto beans – This is my favorite bean to use for refried beans
- Onion – A medium will work fine, but if you like you can add more onion
- Anaheim pepper – The anaheim pepper is great in this recipe, but you can use your favorite.
- Garlic – Two cloves of garlic used in this recipe.
Tips for making slow cooker refried beans:
- Wash/Rinse the beans before anything.
- Cover the beans completely with water when cooking
- Don’t add the salt when cooking the beans, cooking the beans in salted water can cause the beans to be tough once cooked.
- When adding the salt after the cooking process, add it gradually, tasting between each time you add the salt.
- The size of the slow cooker will also determine the amount of time to cook the beans. This recipe uses a 6-quart slow cooker.
Steps for making this recipe:
Wash/rinse the beans. Place them in the slow cooker.
Add the chopped onion, pepper, garlic, cumin, and water.
Cook on high for 6 to 7 hours or until the beans are tender.
Drain the excess water from the beans and reserve. Using an immersible blender or a potato masher mash the beans. Add back the reserved water until the right consistency. Season salt using 1/4 teaspoon at a time.
If you like beans check out these recipes:
Slow Cooker Refried Beans
- 1 pound pinto beans
- 1 medium onion
- 1 anaheim pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 6 cups water
- 1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Wash/rinse the dried pinto beans. Place into the slow cookers
- Add the chopped onion, pepper, garlic, and cummin. Pour the water over the ingredients
- Turn the slow cooker to high and cook 6 to 7 hours on low cook 8 to 9 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Once the beans are tender remove the excess water. Using an immersible blender or potato masher mash the beans. Add back the reserved water until the right consistency. Season with salt adding a 1/4 teaspoon at a time until the desired flavor.
- Rinse/wash beans before adding them to the slow cooker
- Do not add salt until the beans are cooked. Adding salt before cooking can cause the beans to be tough.
- The size of the slow cooker may change the amount of cooking time. Larger slow cookers will cook faster.
- Freeze extra refried beans in an airtight container.