Tater Tot Breakfast Skillet a simple hearty breakfast that the whole family will love. This cheesy breakfast casserole is made with breakfast sausage, eggs, green pepper, onion, milk, and of course tater tots.
I like serving breakfast casserole dishes when the family comes home for a visit. They are quick to throw together or to make the night before. Baking these dishes make the process even simpler, no standing over a hot stove waiting for everything to get done. And, the best part of these dishes is that the big and small all seem to love them.
Plus you can make everything in one skillet. That means there is less clean up, which is always a good thing!
What size of skillet should I use for this tater tot breakfast skillet?
I use a 10-inch skillet for this recipe. But, if you don’t have a 10-inch and your skillet is larger I would suggest using a few more eggs and tater tots, the amount of sausage should be fine for let’s say a 12-inch skillet.
Can I make this tater tot breakfast skillet the night before?
To be honest I have not made this particular recipe the night before. Although, I would not suggest putting all of the ingredients together the night before. What I would suggest is to fry up the breakfast sausage and cut the vegetables the night before. Having the sausage and vegetables ready takes the longest amount of time, so if they are ready for you in the morning it should only take a few minutes to throw everything together. Breakfast would be done in less than an hour.
Can you freeze the leftovers?
If there are any leftovers I would not suggest freezing this breakfast casserole. Eating it fresh or reheated would be the way to go.
How to reheat this tater tot breakfast skillet?
Reheating this tater tot breakfast skillet is simple. Simply heat in the microwave. I would reheat an individual slice at a time until the preferred temperature. I actually like to make this recipe and take it to work with me for my lunch and it heats up super quick in the microwave and makes a tasty lunch. And, yes I am one of those people that love to eat breakfast for lunch or dinner.
Steps for making tater tot breakfast skillet:
First step: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Second step: In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet add the breakfast sausage and chopped green pepper, and onion. Fry until the sausage is completely browned and the vegetables are soft. Drain any grease that may be in the skillet.
Third step: Prepare the eggs for the dish. In a large bowl or measuring cup (I like using a glass measuring cup, it makes pouring the egg mixture over the meat easier) mix the eggs, milk, and cheese. Once the eggs are ready, pour the mixture over the prepared sausage.
Fourth step: Top the egg mixture with the tater tots. Don’t worry about thawing the frozen tots beforehand, they will be fine if they are frozen. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tots and bake.
Fifth step: Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the eggs are set, the tater tots are browned, and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and serve.
If you are looking for breakfast recipes check out these recipes:
Tater Tot Breakfast Skillet
- cast-iron skillet
- 16 ounces pork breakfast sausage
- 1/2 large green pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese divided
- 16 ounces tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet add the pork breakfast sausage, green pepper, and onion cook over medium heat until the meat is browned and the vegetables soft.
- In a medium bowl or a glass measuring cup add the eggs, milk, and cheese, mix until well blended. Pour the egg mixture over the browned meat.
- Top the egg mixture with the frozen tater tots and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the eggs are set, the tater tots are slightly browned, and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
- Use frozen tater tots, no need to unthaw before using.
- Drain any grease after browning the sausage.
- If using a larger skillet add additional eggs and tater tots. (addition time for baking may be needed).
- Reheat in microwave.