Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting a wonderful combination of flavors, the cupcakes are moist and chocolatey and the buttercream is buttery and creamy.
These chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting are one of my favorite combination of flavors. I have always loved the flavor of chocolate and vanilla together.
Although I love these chocolate cupcakes I would like to focus on the buttercream frosting for a little bit. The buttercream recipe is a recipe that my mom made when I was a kid. I had all but forgotten about it.
Then I was making cupcakes for a church festival and was looking at recipes that I had in my recipe box and I ran across it. It brought back some good memories. Like when my mom would bake an angel food cake this was what she would make for the frosting. It was always so good. I still can remember how it tasted.
These chocolate cupcakes are moist and easy to make. There is a cup of sour cream that keeps them moist. Chocolate cupcakes are always my first choice when making cupcakes.
How to make this buttercream frosting:
This frosting is really different from any of the other frostings I have made in my life. And believe me, I have made quite a few frostings in my lifetime.
You start out with mixing milk and flour together in a saucepan. You cook this mixture over medium heat until it thickens. After the mixture is thick you let it cool.
Once it is cooled you add it to a mixing bowl along with a stick of butter and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar. You beat this until the frosting gets fluffy.
Once the beating is done you add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and mix that in. This frosting ends up being creamy and I love the flavor that the butter adds to it.
Do you love cupcakes/cake? Check out these recipes:
Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Divide the egg yolks from the white and put them in separate bowls. Beat the egg yolks and the sour cream together. Gradually beat in the sugar and beat until it thickens.
- Combine the hot water, cocoa, and butter together heat over low heat until the butter melts. Remove from heat and cool. Add to the egg mixture and mix in. Mix in the vanilla.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet ingredients and mix in.
- With clean beaters beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the cake batter.
- Fill the paper liners to 3/4 full. Place the cupcakes in the preheated oven.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Remove and cool on a cooling rack.
Butter Cream Frosting
- In a small saucepan mix the milk and 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is completely thickened. Remove from the heat and cool.
- When the mixture is cooled. add the butter and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix in.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes.