Caramel Apple Spice Bars are moist delicious bars that start with a cake mix and are loaded with apples, caramel, and walnuts. These are easy and everyone is going to love them, they won’t be around for too long.
This recipe is perfect for fall when the weather is starting to turn cooler. Actually, you can make them any time of year, but the apple and cinnamon are a classic combination when fall rolls around.
Using a box cake mix for the base of these bars makes it simple and quick to mix up. And the spice cake mix compliments the apples, cinnamon, and caramel.
- It does not matter what brand of cake mix you use for this recipe. Any brand should work.
- I love the spice cake mix that I use in this recipe. It goes well with the apples and cinnamon, but if you want to use another flavor it would work, it will change the flavor of the bars. I would not recommend chocolate.
- Try to slice the apples all about the same size. This will help them to bake evenly.
- The caramel bits can be melted on the stove or in the microwave. Make sure to watch carefully and stir occasionally, so that the caramels don’t scorch.
- To tell when the bars are done insert a wooden pick into the apples and base part, if the apples are tender and the base of the bar is not gooey the bars should be done. Also, the edges of the bars will pull slightly away from the edge of the pan.
- The bars should be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- The bars can be frozen for up to 4 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Steps for making Caramel Apple Spice Bars
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
Peel apples and slice them thinly. Place the sliced apples in a bowl and toss them with the flour, sugar, and cinnamon
In a mixing bowl combine the cake mix, 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk, and butter. Mix until well combined. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
Combine the caramel bits and 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk in a small saucepan, and heat over medium-low heat until they are melted. Stir occasionally.
Spread the apples over top of the batter. Drizzle over top of the batter the melted caramel. Then sprinkle the nuts over top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 37 minutes. Cool before serving
What are the best apples to bake or cook with?
Granny Smith, McIntosh, Jonathan, or Cortland. These are just to name a few. My favorite apples are Granny Smith and McIntosh to bake/cook with. They taste great in baked goods and they bake nicely.
l Would you like more apple recipes to try? Check these out:
If you make these caramel apple spice bars I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Caramel Apple Spice Bars
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 cups finely chopped apples I used Granny Smith
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup caramel bits Kraft
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk This is to added to the caramels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan
- Peel and chop the apples into small pieces (3 small Granny Smith apples make about 3 cups). Toss the apples with the sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Set aside
- In a medium bowl mix the spice cake mix, 1/2 cup evaporated milk,, and melted butter. Spread the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a small saucepan heat the caramel bits and the 1/3 cup of evaporated milk. Heat over medium-low heat until melted. Stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the apples over the cake mix mixture. Drizzle the caramel over the apples. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the caramel.
- Place the bars into the preheated oven. Bake 35 to 37 minutes or until when a wooden pick is inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
- Use a baking apple for this recipe. Like Granny Smith, McIntosh, Jonathan, or Cortland to name a few.
- Try and slice the apples all the same size. It will help the apples to bake evenly.
- I use a spice cake box mix, but you can use other flavors if you don’t have the spice one on hand. I would suggest not using a chocolate cake mix.
- Store the bars in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
This recipe was originally published on October 18, 2018. It has been updated with new content and pictures on September 22, 2022