Angel Wing Cookies a rich buttery flavored cookie that is nice and chewy. The cookies are easy to make and make a great dessert or an afternoon sweet treat.
This is a recipe that has been in my family forever. One that my mom made and now I love making these cookies, too. Needless to say, it has always been a family favorite that has been made over and over again.
It is one of those recipes that are easy to make, but they are a step above your average recipes.
- Read through the recipe completely so that you know the steps that you will be taking to make the recipe. Gather your ingredients before you start to prepare the cookies
- Have the butter and egg at room temperature, so remember to take them out about 20 minutes before you start to make the recipe.
- Make sure to preheat the oven before placing the cookies in the oven to bake.
- The baking sheet does not have to be greased and no parchment paper is needed. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet. Don’t worry they are easy to remove from the pan.
- Cool the cookies slightly before removing them from the baking sheets. They are quite soft when they first come out of the oven, so they will need to sit for a while to firm up.
- Store in an airtight container for two to three days.
- These cookies freeze really well. Place them in an airtight container or a freezer bag. They can be stored up to 3 months in the freezer.
Why I love this recipe:
One of the reasons I love these cookies so much is that they are dunked in water and sugar just before they are baked. This gives the top of the cookies a slightly crunchy sweet topping. The tops of the sugar cause the cookies to crack on the top which looks like a feathery angel wing, hence the name of the cookie.
Steps for Making Angel Wing Cookies
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl add the brown sugar, 1/2 cup of white sugar, butter, and shortening with an electric mixer cream the ingredients together.
Add the egg and vanilla and mix them in.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt and add to the mixture. Mix well.
Roll into 1 1/4 inch balls. Dip the top of each ball into the water then into the sugar.
Place each ball on to the baking sheet about 1-inch apart. Place them in the preheated oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The edges of the cookies should be lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. After a few minutes remove the cookies from the pan and place directly on the cooling rack and cool completely.
I have more delicious cookie recipes:
Angel Wing Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar plus more
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- In a large bowl cream butter, shortening, 1/2 sugar, and brown sugar together using an electric mixer
- Mix in the egg and the vanilla.
- Sift flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt and add to creamed mixture. Mix well
- Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Dip the top half in cold water, and then in sugar.
- Place cookies on the ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for10 to 12 minutes until the edge of the cookies should be lightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and set on a cooling rack for a few minutes. Remove the cookies from the pan and set directly on the cooling rack and cool completely.
- The recipe through before starting to make the recipe.
- The butter and the egg should be at room temperature.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/4 inch balls.
- There is no need to grease the baking sheets. The cookies will remove easily without greasing the baking sheet.
- These cookies freeze well for up to 3 months.
This recipe was originally published on September 28, 2011. It has been updated with new content and pictures on June 18, 2020.