Over the top grilled cheese… grilled cheese with beer caramelized onions and mushrooms
Grilled cheese happens to be one of my favorite sandwiches. I love them filled with lots of melted gooey cheese. There are a lot of Saturday afternoons I find myself craving this yummy sandwich. In winter I love to pair them with a bowl of tomato soup. I love to dip my sandwich in the soup… such a great combination.
But this time around soup was not necessary, this grilled cheese was over the top with goodness.
I have had this grilled cheese on my mind for some time now, along with the caramelized onions and mushrooms. Doesn’t that sound just totally delicious? I would say so. I mean grilled cheese is truly yummy enough, but why not take it to the next level.
The more I thought about the caramelized onions for this sandwich the more I knew that I wanted to add a little beer into the mix of things. Beer always makes things taste better and this time it was no exception.
I filled the sandwich with mozzarella cheese, because I love how gooey it gets when it melts. I could taste a hint of the beer in the caramelized onions and mushrooms. I decided to add a couple of slices of tomatoes to the sandwich, well just because I wanted to.
Do I need to say more? This sandwich was definitely over the top. In some ways it was a little like a bowl of French onion soup, only in a sandwich. Good thing for me my guys don’t like mushroom, so I had the whole thing for myself.
- 1 tablespoon butter plus more for the bread
- ¼ cup beer (your favorite will do)
- ½ small onion thinly sliced
- 3 mushroom sliced
- 2 slices French bread
- 2 slices tomato
- 4 to 6 slices of mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet add the butter and beer, heat over medium low heat. Once the butter is melted add the sliced onion and mushroom. Stirring occasionally cook the onions and mushrooms beer and butter have been absorbed and the onions are rich brown. Once done remove from heat. Now it is time to assemble the sandwich
- Butter the outside of 2 slices of French bread. Top the inside of one of the slices with the mozzarella cheese, making sure that the whole slice is covered by the cheese. Top the cheese with the onions and mushrooms. Place the slices of tomatoes over the onions and mushrooms. Over the tomatoes top with additional cheese. Place the second slice of bread over the cheese, making sure that the butter side is on the outside.
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium low. Once the skillet is heated place the sandwich inside. Cook sandwich slowly so that the cheese melts and the bread doesn't brown too quickly. Once the sandwich is brown on the bottom flip over to brown the other side. At this point it is a good thing to place a cover or something to weight the sandwich down a bit. Continue to cook until the sandwich is golden brown and cheese is melted and gooey. Serve immediately.