I have always loved a good sandwich. Grilled cheese is one of my favorite go-to sandwiches. Of late I have been thinking of ways to reinvent the everyday grilled cheese… like this Italian turkey Parmesan grilled cheese sandwich.
We celebrated our daughter-in-law Brianna’s birthday a couple of weeks ago. I have mentioned it on my blog a quite a few times that we have a birthday dinner for our kids and in-law kids. They get to choose the menu for that dinner. I am sure if you come around to this blog at all you have read about one of those celebrations.
Brianna had asked me to make chicken Parmesan for her birthday. For some reason when I was making the chicken Parmesan I got to thinking about adding the flavors and ingredients into a sandwich. I looked on the web to see if there were any recipes for this type of sandwich. They all seem to include breaded chicken breast within the sandwich.
I decided to go out on my own. I really didn’t want breaded chicken and then more bread on top of that to complete a grilled cheese sandwich. Mine is simple, I purchased shaved turkey from the deli at the local grocery store. I used butter, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning for the spread on the outside of the bread. (This fried up beautiful and left the bread with a nice crunchy outside).
I added a little cream cheese, spinach, and mozzarella cheese to the inside. My plan was to serve it with a red sauce for dipping, but the sandwich looked so totally yummy I forgot about the sauce. Oh well, there is always a next time for the sauce.
So if you are serving grilled cheese and you want to impress family or friends, I hope that you will give this one a try.
- 4 Slices of bread - Italian or French bread works great
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 teaspoons Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Shaved turkey breast from the deli or homemade
- Sliced Mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce of cream cheese room temperature
- Spinach leaves
- Heat a skillet over medium heat (not too high you want the ingredients inside the sandwich to heat up and the cheese to melt without the bread getting too dark).
- On a plate or small bowl add the butter, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning and mix together until well blended and set aside. Take the cream cheese that is at room temperature and spread on one side of 2 slices of bread (if the cream cheese is too hard to spread, microwave it for a few seconds). Top with shaved turkey - to your liking. Place the slices of mozzarella on top of the turkey. Take the spinach leave and place them on top of the mozzarella. Place the second of slice on top of the spinach. Take your butter and spread over the outside of the bread, the top slice. Once that is completed, place the sandwich in the skillet, butter side down. At this point, butter the top slice bread. Fry the sandwich until golden brown on both sides. If the cheese is not melted place a cover over the skillet to keep the heat in, just until the cheese is melted and the meat is heated through.