Crispy Baked Chicken Strips are coated with panko breadcrumbs then baked until the chicken is tender and has a crispy outer coating.
Crispy baked chicken strips are baked in the oven for a healthier chicken strip version than your fried chicken strips.
Our two oldest grandchildren love their chicken strips. When we go to a fast food restaurant with them you never have to ask them what they want to eat. Its chicken strips all the way.
So I have been working on a chicken strip that they would love to eat, but a healthier version of what you can buy in the fast food places. I have made them several times for them and made some changes along the way.
The last time I made them happened to be this past weekend. The grandkids were staying overnight so I decided to make them for dinner. My granddaughter who is already five (where does the time go) told me that she thought they were amazing. And you know that I am going to love hearing that.
They love the baked chicken strips as much as the fast food ones and they didn’t even know that grandma’s chicken strips were healthier and so much better for them.
I used chicken breast and cut them into the strips, but you could buy chicken tenders if you prefer. The chicken is marinated in buttermilk for a couple of hours, then dredged in flour, then egg, and then in panko breadcrumbs. They are baked in the oven until they are lightly brown and crisp.
Also, it is always cheaper to make your food at home versus going out to eat, which is always a bonus.
Here are some more mouthwatering recipes:
Crispy Baked Chicken Strips
- 2 large chicken breast
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Trim the fat off of the chicken breast. Cut the chicken breast into about 1/2-inch strips. Place into a plastic bag and pour in the buttermilk. Refrigerate for about 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Set up 3 bowls for the different steps of coating the chicken. In the first bowl mix together the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. In the second bowl mix the egg with the water. In the third bowl add the panko breadcrumbs.
- Drain the chicken and discard the buttermilk. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, then dip in the egg, and finally roll in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Place the coated chicken strips on the baking sheets, about 2-inches apart. Place in the preheat oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken over and bake for another 5 minutes or until chicken strips are no longer pink inside.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.