Shortcake with orange zested strawberries.. the citrus flavor brings this strawberry shortcake to a new level.
I hope all the moms out there had a wonderful Mother’s Day yesterday. My day was on the quiet side for the most part, but it was a lovely day. I went to visit my mom in the evening. I knew that some of my siblings would be gathering at my mom’s house, so I decided to bring some dessert.
I decided to go with a non-chocolate dessert. Can you believe it? A day before I had purchased some strawberries and I couldn’t think of a better way to use them, then to make shortcake. Sweet berries with sweetened whipped cream to top a moist cake… so yummy.
I decided to add a little orange zest and juice from an orange. The orange zest and juice gave the berries a hint of citrus flavor that was wonderful. A simple dessert that was a hit with everyone gathered at my mom’s house.
- Sponge Shortcake-
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup hot milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound strawberries
- Zest from one orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Sugar to taste
- Prepare cake- Beat the eggs using an electric mixer on high speed, until lemon colored about 3 minutes. Gradually add the sugar beating on medium speed for 5 additional minutes. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the egg mixture, using a spatula fold in by hand.Heat the milk until hot, but do not bring to a boil, add the butter. Stir the milk mixture into the batter, add the vanilla and mix until well blended. Pour into a greased and floured 8 by 8 by 2-inch baking pan. Place in a oven that has been preheated to 350 degree F. Bake for 23 to 27 minutes or until the cake is a golden brown and bounces bake when center is touched. Cool completely.
- Strawberries- Wash strawberries. Slice strawberries and place in a bowl. Add the zest from one orange and 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice, mix. Add sugar to taste. Cover and place in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- To assemble- Cut piece of cake in half, place the bottom piece of cake on plate, top with orange zested strawberries, and place the other piece of cake on top. Top with additional berries and then sweetened whipped cream. Serve