Spiced cookies, spiced up with cinnamon and cardamom.
Did you notice my absence on Wednesday? Yeah, I didn’t post a new recipe on Wednesday. I came home from work and my internet was not working… ugh!!! Don’t you just hate that when that happens? It took until Thursday to have the internet up and running. So I decided to post only two recipes this week.
It is amazing how our lives revolve around our computer and the internet. What did we do before all these computers and internet? But I am happy that it is back up and running… I am ready with a new recipe.
I love to have cookies in the house. I usually make a few batches at a time and freeze a bunch of them. My guys like to take a couple of cookies to work with them for their lunch. They have their favorites that I make all the time, chocolate chips is probably at the top of their list. But of late I wanted something different.
I wanted to make cookies with cinnamon and some cardamom. I love the flavor of cardamom, but have not tried it in cookies yet. If you read my blog often you will probably know that it was just recently that I found this spice. I am hoping it try in many different recipes.
This cookie is somewhat of a spin off on a sugar cookie. But I decided instead of putting the cardamom in the dough of the cookie I decided to top it with a bit of sugar. I dipped the cookie in water before dipping them in the cardamom and sugar mixture, it crystallizes the sugar and give the top of the cookie a nice finish.
They cookies have a nice texture and sweetness about them and I love the spiciness that the cinnamon and cardamom bring to them.
- 1 cup shortening I used 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Topping -
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl cream the shortening and sugar until well blended. Add the eggs and mix until they are mixed well. Mix in the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, soda, salt, cream of tartar, and cinnamon. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mix well.
- Add water to a bowl (doesn't matter how much because you will only be dipping the top of the cookie into the water). In another bowl combine the sugar and cardamom
- Roll into small balls, dip the top of the cookie into the water, then into the sugar and cardamom mixture. Place cookies in the preheat oven and bake for 10 to 12 or until the edges start turning a light brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack until the cookies start to cool down. Remove the cookies from the baking sheet and place on the cooling rack and cool completely.