Slow Cooker Italian shredded pork mozzarella sandwiches; they are so good, you are sure to fall in love with them.
I have always loved sandwiches. Put almost anything between two slices of bread and call it a sandwich and I am almost sure that I will love it. I have been eating Italian beef sandwiches ever since I met Mike and have loved them.
I have been eating Italian beef sandwiches ever since I met Mike. He is from Chicago and whenever we go there for a visit we have to stop at a place called Portillo’s. We love the Italian beef there, yum, it is so delicious. Have you been to Portillo’s? Then you know what I am talking about.
Well, enough about Italian beef; I believe the title of this post is slow cooker Italian shredded pork mozzarellas sandwiches, not beef sandwiches.
Recently I wanted to make something in my slow cooker and this wonderful idea came to me. Why not Italian pork sandwiches? I loved pulled pork and it is so simple to make. So basically this is pulled pork with an Italian flavor.
The slow cooker does all the work for you, well almost all of the work. And the result is this delicious sandwich. Pure comfort food for the cooler weather.
Do you like Italian beef? Then you will have to try this Italian pork.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper
- Mozzarella cheese
- 4 buns/rolls
- In a slow cooker place the pork tenderloin. Season the pork with salt and pepper.
- Add the Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, bay leaf, onion, and green pepper.
- Add water, enough to cover the ingredients.
- Cook the pork for 4 hours on high (I used a 2-quart slow cooker, so if using a large slow cooker cooking time may vary).
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred. Return the pork to the slow cooker and continue to cook for another 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours.
- To assemble the sandwiches-
- Slice the bun/roll. Place the Italian pork on bottom of the roll. Place the mozzarella over the top of the pork. Add the green peppers and onions over the cheese.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking pan and place in an oven that has been preheated to 300 degrees F. Heat until the cheese is melted.