I love a good burger. With this recipe, I have tossed the bun and dressed up the burger to make this savory hamburger steak.
Before I get into the recipe today, I just had to mention that it is Mike’s and my wedding anniversary today. Yep, 35 years ago today we said our I do’s. Not sure how it has been that long, wow! But then when I look at our four kids and see our two grandchildren, I realize it has been a few years. It has been a great ride throughout the years and I hope that there are more to come.
Now on to the recipe… When I was a kid I was never too thrilled to see my mom making hamburgers for a meal. I was not a big fan back in the day. Fast forward to the present and I have to say that I enjoy a great burger. And yes, I really enjoyed this savory hamburger steak.
This time around I decided to change things up a bit. I decided to forget about the bun and I replaced it with a savory gravy. I am not saying the this is a classy way to serve a hamburger, oh well maybe it is a bit classier than your everyday burger.
When serving a savory hamburger steak, mushrooms are definitely a must, well at least in my book. Add some onion, green peppers, and gravy you have the perfect savory hamburger steak.
I served the savory hamburger steak with mashed potatoes and broccoli for an easy but delicious meal.
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a green pepper thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons flour and 3 tablespoons of water to thicken the gravy.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil and butter. Add the sliced vegetables and cook until tender. Once tender remove from skillet
- While vegetables are cooking add the breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until well combined. Form into hamburger steaks.
- Once the vegetables are cooked and removed from the skillet add the hamburger steaks. Cook until the steaks are done to your liking. Remove from skillet.
- Remove all but 3 tablespoons of drippings from the skillet. Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour. Slowly add the beef broth, whisking as you pour.
- Cook until the gravy thickens and is to your liking
- Add back the vegetables and hamburger steak. Heat until vegetables and steaks are heated up.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetables.