Lime scones with a hint of orange icing… love that citrus flavor!
Hello, three day weekend!! I am so ready for a long weekend. I don’t get too many days off during the year, especially the first part of the year. So I always look forward to Memorial Day for a little break. I love this time of year when everything is coming back to life. After the winter months I am loving the colors that the warm weather brings.
Another thing that I love is mixing citrus flavors. I made these scones with lime juice and zest, but decided to use orange zest and juice in the icing. I really enjoyed how you could taste the lime in the scones along with the orange in the icing.
It seems that I cannot get enough of making scones. I really enjoy trying new flavors and combining different flavors together. Sometimes I wonder if I will run out of ideas for new scone recipes. Hopefully that day never comes. I don’t know what it is, but I can’t get enough of making them and as long as my family doesn’t start complaining I think I will be okay.
Can I tell you something? I have never eaten a store bought scone. So I am not sure where my obsession started, probably seeing scones on someones blog or cookbook. I have made so many different kinds that I don’t even remember what kind I made first or if they turned out well.
All I know is that I love scones. And these lime scones are for sure a winner. I hope that you will give them a try.
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Scones - In a large bowl combine the butter and flour, cut the butter in with a pastry cutter or fork until coarse crumbs are formed. Add the baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and lime zest and combine work in. In a small bowl add the eggs, cream, and lime juice combine and add to the flour mixture.
- Mixing with your hands combine the ingredients until the mixture comes together and forms a ball.
- On a floured surface, place the dough and knead a few time. Shape into a 8-inch circle. Take a pizza cutter and cut into 8 wedges. Place on a light greased baking sheet and place into a preheated oven that has been preheated to 375 degrees F. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the edges of the scones are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Icing - Add powder sugar and orange zest into a small bowl. Gradually add the orange juice until you have right consistency. Beat until smooth. Drizzle over cooled scones.