This is my first time posting a recipe for quinoa. In fact this is the first time that I have cooked quinoa or even eaten the stuff. To go one step further I had never heard of quinoa before I started this blog… I guess you get the picture.
So with that said I wanted something simple and basic for my first experience of this food. So when I found a recipe that offered onion, garlic, and Parmesan cheese I knew I couldn’t go wrong. I served this as a side dish with a meat loaf that I will be posting about in the near future. I have to say I was not as impressed as I thought I would be, it wasn’t that the recipe didn’t work out, it was the flavor of the quinoa. I think that I will have to try the quinoa in a few more dishes before I give up on it.
I have decided to post this recipe because the guys in the house enjoyed the quinoa. I thought that was an odd thing, because I am the one that enjoys all the new flavors of new foods and it is my guys that usually turns up their noses. If you are like me and trying quinoa for the first time I really think that is a good start to introduce yourself to this food.
Garlic Quinoa with Parmesan Cheese (Source: adapted from about.com)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced small
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed)
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1. In medium sized pan saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium high heat 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft.
2. Reduce heat to medium low. Add the broth and quinoa to the onion and garlic.
3. Cover and allow to simmer until liquid is mostly absorbed and quinoa is cooked about 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and gently mix quinoa to distribute any excess moisture. Season with salt to taste.
5. Add Parmesan cheese and stir lightly to distribute cheese through the dish.