Zucchini-carrot-apple bread, a super moist delicious quick bread. This is one of the most moist breads that I have made when it comes to quick bread.
This is the time of the season if you have zucchini in the garden, you probably have a ton of it and are wondering what to do with all of that zucchini. When that happens to me, the first thing I think of is zucchini bread.
We love this moist easy to make bread in our house. Although I have made it several ways, this recipe is probably my favorite and really the whole family’s favorite. The zucchini as always gives a nice moistness to the bread, but so do the carrots and the apples.
Also, I love the little specs of orange in the bread that come from the carrots.
What is zucchini?
I know that you all have seen zucchini in the grocery stores or you may even grow it in your garden. I have always thought that zucchini would be classed as a vegetable, but I was totally wrong. They are actually a fruit. This fruit is usually treated as a vegetable which is usually cooked or made into savory dishes.
That is one of the great things about this fruit, the versatility. Not only can it be made into savory dishes I have baked into quick breads, cookies, bars, and other sweet desserts.
- There is no need to remove the skin on the zucchini. It will bake nicely into the bread.
- I know in some recipes it is called to squeeze all the excess water out of the zucchini before you cook or bake with it. Don’t worry about removing the excess water for this recipe, add the shredded zucchini as it is, it will add to the moisture of the bread.
- You will want to remove the seeds from the zucchini as well as you can, especially if you are working with a larger zucchini. The seeds can be bitter and will not complement the bread.
- To prepare the zucchini for the bread make sure to wash and dry it before you do anything. Then slice the ends off, once the ends are removed cut it in half the long way and each half should be cut in half. Once this is done scoop out the seeds.
- For the apple, you can also leave the peel on. You will want to peel the carrots for this recipe. Remember to wash and dry these as well.
- Use a box grater or a food processor to shred the zucchini, carrots, and apples.
- Once the bread is baked cool in the pans for 10 minutes and remove and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Yes, this bread can be frozen. I usually freeze it in freezer bags. It can be frozen up to 3 months. To thaw remove from the freezer and set on the counter.
Steps for making the Zucchini Carrot Apple Bread
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two loaf pans with shortening and flour and set the pans aside.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda together.
Grate the zucchini, carrots, and apples and set aside.
In a large bowl combine the sugar and oil, eggs, and vanilla mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
Add the flour and fold in just until combined. Add the shredded zucchini, carrots, apple, and nuts and fold in until combined.
Divide the batter between the two prepared pans and place them in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the bread come out clean.
Remove for the oven and cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then remove from the pans and continue to cool on the cooling rack until room temperature.
Do you have a ton of zucchini waiting to be bake into delicious sweet treats? You may like these recipes:
- Zucchini Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Carrot Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Blueberry Zucchini Coffee Cake
Zucchini Carrot Apple Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 medium apple shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two loaf pans with shortening and flour.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set this aside.
- Shred the zucchini, carrots, and apple (leave the zucchini and the apple peel on the fruits) and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix together with a wooden spoon. Stir mixture just until combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients just until they are combined. Add the shredded zucchini, carrots, apple, and nuts. Mix until all the zucchini, carrots, apple, and nuts are mix in.
- Pour the batter evenly between the two loaf pans. Place in the preheated oven and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for 10 minutes and remove the bread from the pans and place back on the cooling rack and cool to room temperature.
- There is no need to remove the skin/peel of the zucchini or the apple. Shred both them with the skin/peel.
- Remove the large seeds from the zucchini before shredding. The seeds tend to be bitter, so you will not want them in the bread.
- Make sure to flour the pans after they are greased, this will help with the removal of the loaves.
- This bread freezes well. I like to freeze in freezer bags.
This recipe was originally published on August 11, 2011. It has been updated with new content and pictures on August 6, 2020.